Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My new Sei bass - the wait has started

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by matthewfoote, Feb 8, 2005.

1. After nearly a year of using my fretless 7 string Flamboyant Sei bass as my sole bass, I decided it was the right time to get it a partner.

The decision on who to build it was between our very own JP and Martin Petersen who made my fretless. After a lot of discussion with both JP and Martin I decided another Sei although it was a very close and hard decision to make.

Thanks JP for all your time and patience during our discussions.

I cannot say too much at this stage as to what my new bass will be like except it will be a fretted 7 string Flamboyant. I hope it will be quite special and of interest to some of you.

More will follow over the coming months as it starts to take shape, hopefully with a few pictures showing its progress.

The long wait is now on :crying:

Regards

Matthew

2. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE

You're very welcome Matthew. Anytime.

Peace,
    JP

3. Bam! Subscribed. I can't wait to see this!

4. Geoff thanks for the reply. This is going to be a very long project so the next time I post I will probably have to dig it out of page 55 of this forum which will no doubt get a few comments about resurrecting old threads.

With a build time of about 8 months for my new Sei this will be a very slow thread so I attach a picture of my fretless as a starter to show the body shape.

Next update in 2 months time!

Matthew

ps JP you are a star!

5. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    Nice sei man, there beautiful basses

6. Redhotbassist

Thanks they are very nice. Have you ever played one? The Gallery in Camden where Martin Petersen builds them usually has a few second hand ones in stock.

Matthew

7. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    Yeah ive been to the bass gallery in camden, I went there to pick up my thumb bolt on 4, but i never played on a sei, i did see a few about, i would love to play on one, but i would probably get too attached, and there sooo expensive, but i do love the tone and look of them, the new millenium ones arent looking to bad :) :bassist:

8. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    nice. a fretted younger bro!

9. Matthew,

I really look forward to seeing your new Sei. I'm spec'ing a custom 5 that I'd seriously like Sei to put together for me. But before I head off to Camden, given your experience, I was just wondering how you found the guys up there. In particular quite how flexible can they be. Martin's basses are truely stunning and he's already produced some stuff close to what I want but I've got a couple of odd-ball desires ;) that they may not wish to handle. Firstly, I'd also be looking at a Flamboyant but I'd want a few tweeks and possibly some curvature in the body (a la Spector) :confused:. Secondly, I'd really like to have it with fanned-frets :eek:.

Your opinion would be most valued.

DC.

10. Martin petersen is really great to work with. He will discuss any option with you and advise how viable it would be. I know he did a fanned fretted bass/guitar for Pino Pallidino. If you could show what shaping you wanted on the body again he would say if could do it.

I think you should bear in mind that he might not do something that he feels would not work as he has to put his name and reputation to it.

Best thing is to give him a ring.

My fretless had a lot of input from me of which Martin put most into the final bass. A couple of things he advised not to do and on looking back he was right.

My new bass will I think be a first in a number of ways for Martin some of which he suggested to me as things he would like to try out so I know he is always up for a challenge.

Good luck with it and keep us posted.

Regards

Matthew

11. That sounds superb - just the sort of approach I'm looking for, flexible, willing to listen and stretch the boundaries but always with an eye on what will really work. I'm now 99% sure I'll be heading their way :D

Thanks for your input.

DC.

12. Peik

Peik

Dec 2, 2004
    Sweden
    Hey Matthew

Just wanted to say nice job on ordering a Sei bass, I love them too. Your 7 string Fretless looks really good too.

I have a Flamboyant 4 that I really love, would like to have a five string, single cut before I am 30.

Keep us posted, and let the wait begin

Peik

13. I dropped into The Gallery on Friday as I happened to be in the area. Unfortunately, Martin was off Skiing :scowl: but I had a good conversation with John and he seemed confident that pretty much anything was possible.

There were no completed Sei basses kicking around but I did get to take a look at an Original and Single Cut #5 in production. Before visiting I was a little worried that the body size may be a bit on the large side, but having seen them now I've got no worries on that score at all :D .

One thing I did forget to ask however, was "How do you pronounce Sei?". Is it "Say" as in the Sei whale, "Sy" as in seismic or something else all together?

14. It is a pity that you missed Martin but you have saved me a phone call as I wanted to chat with him about something. :D

Anyway, glad you spoke to John he is another good guy. He helps Martin build the Sei's and does a lot of the work on the other basses people bring in. By the way, you pronounce Sei 'say'

Regards

Matthew

15. Thanks for that Matthew, cleared up a long standing question. Martin was back on Monday, so give him a call.

DC.