Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My new Sei singlecut 5-string is taking shape...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rusty Chainsaw, Apr 25, 2003.

1. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    I paid The Gallery in Camden a visit today, and had a pleasant surprise - my new Sei Bass is starting to take shape nicely..! :D It's going to be a 5-string single-cutaway, wenge body, wenge and bubinga neck, nice buckeye burl facings, and one of the new Hipshot tremolos. Still not sure about the pickups (leaning towards dual MM-style pickups for that raucous MM Sabre type sound). Anyway, I thought I'd share the pics with you of its progress so far...

Russ :bassist:

2. Looks Great! Thanks for posting the pics!

Keep us updated.

Jeff

3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    nice hunk of wood!

congrats!

4. Sweet! I like the binding on the fretboard, too--very classy. Is it going to have that on the heastock as well, or is the headstock overlay going to be buckeye?

Mike

5. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Wow man that is cool! I have liked all the Sei's people have posted on here. Thanks for sharing! :)

6. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    nice single-cut buckeye!
    I'm partial to that config myself.

7. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    :eek: (Wiping up drool)

Wow! Can't wait to see the finished article. Please keep us updated. Martin Petersen is definitely one of Europe's top talents.

8. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    I LOVE SINGLE-CUTAWAYS!!!

That sei looks great!
    j

9. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    wenge body?!?! :eek:

who cares about the top; i wanna see the back!!!

10. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    Ditto. Actually, since he said "buckeye facings", I think it might have a buckeye back, too (though I could easily be wrong). I love me some wenge.

11. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    The back's not going to have a facing, it's just going to be the wenge... The way I figure it, nobody's really going to see the back anyway... :p

Nope... the headstock will have the buckeye facing. It's a very nice piece of buckeye too, the pics don't really do it justice. Only another couple of months! :D

I might have to ask some advice on pickups from you lot soon... as I said, steering towards the twin MM route, but Martin wants a volunteer to try out some Aero pickups... should I take him up on it?

12. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Hi Russ. Simply my opinion but I would highly recommend you don't use the Aero's on your bass. They are much too thin sounding (or high fi, take your pick of terms) to go with a wenge body and a wenge/bubinga neck. I can guarentee a very thin sound with that combonation. I used to have a bass with a wenge body/wenge-maple neck and I've owned a couple basses with Aero's. Not a good mix.

By the way, beautiful bass you've got there. It should be wonderfull. I've always been intrigued by Sei basses. Congratulations.

13. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    I can't wait to see the finished bass, that top wood is sooooo nice.

14. Killdar

Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    ooh......nice nice nice!

that thing should look so sweet finished!

triple emphasis on sweet.

bet it will sound sweet too....

did I mention sweet enough times?

15. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    Damn..... after I saw your picture I lid up my bass, it didn't look as good as your burnt bass:p :D

16. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    That's kinda what I was thinking... I've heard that Aeros sound great, in a kinda polite, jazzy way (probably not a million miles from Lane Poors, which I've had some experience with). I'm a bit more of a rock guy, so I'll be needing something with some additional grunt to it.

17. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    Don't worry, when it's done, I'll be seriously spamming TB with pics! :D I can't wait...