Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My New Setup

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mu(SIC)Fiend3, Dec 28, 2003.

1. Mu(SIC)Fiend3

Mu(SIC)Fiend3

Dec 4, 2003
    Finally I have just upgraded from my little Ibanez practice amp to a Ampeq 400 watt cabinet with a Harke 200 watt head. Together they sound beautiful but I only have the volume on 1 out of ten and its extremely loud. I was wondering if I was to turn it up a couple notches would I damage something? I have no need to turn it up any more as of now but I was just curious. Thanks

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Im 100% sure it would be alright to turn the amp above volume "1".. thats what they are made to do correct? I would say turning the amp up to 7 would be fine. I wouldnt go above that unless necesary.

3. Mu(SIC)Fiend3

Mu(SIC)Fiend3

Dec 4, 2003
    The thing is, I would not be worried to turn it up to 7 except for the fact the amp is already so amazingly loud it just sounds like somethings going to blow if I go above 3.

4. Mu(SIC)Fiend3

Mu(SIC)Fiend3

Dec 4, 2003
    By the way, that is a sweet quote.

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Well its a powerful amp, made for playing gigs. What did you expect? A 100 watt amp?

6. Mu(SIC)Fiend3

Mu(SIC)Fiend3

Dec 4, 2003
    No this is exactly what I was expecting, it was just a question, no need to be a smartass about it.

7. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    ..sorry.. I did not say that in a smart-ass like tone. THats the downfall of internet forums. But i was just asking a simple question as well. Ok then.

8. Mu(SIC)Fiend3

Mu(SIC)Fiend3

Dec 4, 2003
    Alright, easily misunderstood. Thanks for the tip though, I'll see what it sounds like at 7. Thanks.

9. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    Possibly your hearing.

As long as the amp sounds "clean" you're not breaking anything. Once you start hearing distortion you have to be a bit more thoughtful about what is going on.

10. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    hehe, true, i wouldnt suggest turning the amp up to 7 in a small room. Only outside or in a very large room/venue thing.

11. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    What Ampeg cab are you using? The SVT-410HE? If so, you are only putting about 120 watts into it i believe. I'm sure it sounds way louder than your 10 watt ibanez, But 120W @ about 96 DB efficency really isn't that loud. In your room, it's probably very loud, but in a band situation, you might find yourself turning way up. I mean, don't get my wrong, for 3 years i practiced and played gigs with a 60W head > 15" cab, and that was loud enough. I later upgraded to a 100W head, and that was still fine. Then i went to 450W, and i'm set.
    I used to have a very loud guitar amp, and like if you barely touched the knob, it would turn up, so i'd jam with it around 2. But, i noticed, after 3, that was about it, and it wasn't so loud anymore.

Peace,
    Scott D.

12. Mu(SIC)Fiend3

Mu(SIC)Fiend3

Dec 4, 2003