Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My "New" Single Speed MTB.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Tecx, Oct 15, 2005.

1. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    Well I just finished converting my old comuter into a SS:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Alex

2. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Nice bike Alex! :)

3. Where's the beer holder? ;)

BTW. Nice.

4. Tecx

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    I am thinking about getting a Surly Flask and Cage, for thoughs cold Canadian rides - Vodka makes everything better...

oh and for anyone who wants to know, some highlights:

Axiom Freestyle Saddle
    80's Shimano 105 crankset
    Blackspire 38t chainring
    American SS spacer kit, with KK 16t cog
    1 speed, and lots of torque.

5. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    funny sticker dealy.

and no tassles? :( :p

6. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Brake arches and cantilever brakes? Man that's real OLD skool! And how the heck do you climb and corner with those skinny tires? You're da man Alex :bassist:
    Did you use a BMX chain? Those Shimano and Sachs 8 or 9 spd chains aren't up to the torque generated by single speeds.

Mine is home brewed also.

Old Raleigh frame, Surly Singulator, Surly 2X1 hub with 16T and 18T AC Claws sprockets, an old Specialized crankset with a 32 ring and steamroller wide tires.

Here she is. These days she wears a nice Brooks saddle.

[​IMG]

7. Tecx

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    Nice mine was a Raleigh at one point of its life, the only original bit is the cromo frame, the fork is a Norco 4130. Yeah, I basicaly put her together from a few of my old beaters when i moved to Halifax. I used to ride all the time, and I even raced on the amiture circuit in New Brunswick. But when my wife and I mooved to the city none of out landloards would let me keep my bikes inside, so the nice ones eventualy where sold and the beaters went into storage. When we mooved to halifax I built her up into a 21 speed - then busted my crank, rear derailer, chain - and said to hell with it! I want a damn SS again! Now here she is. And yes, the chain is a KMC BMX chain - with the master link removed.

I am now building my fun/urban/dirt jump SS. Next year a fixy trackbike.

Alex

p.s. The tires are IRC Advantage Pro's they are sexy city tires - they roll fast, displace a lot of watter (Halifax is WET), and grip hardpack very well...

8. Tecx

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    Hey man, sorry... I forgot to say - DAMN nice ride... What kind of brooks is she wearing?.. I was looking at getting a B17, but I wanted somthing a little more modern. My fixy is going to have a brooks though.

9. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    I have a Flyer. I like the sproingy action which makes up for the lack of suspension. I would love a track bike just for messing around on the street. But the way folks drive in California, it's probably a bad idea.

Show us your urban bike when you finish her. If I know you Crazy Canadians, you'll use a double crowned 8" Marzocchi on a hardtail :D

10. Tecx

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    Well I am an even crazier Canadian, as I am 100% rigid... For a 250+ guy like me - that makes for some rough landings...

My new Urban Assault Machine, as yet unfinished:
    [​IMG]

11. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    ooh, that's pretty slick.

like a stealth bomber.

...but a bicycle. best of both worlds. ( :confused: )

12. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    How the hell did you convert a PC into a bike???????

13. Tecx

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    [​IMG]
    The cool replaceable, movable brake mounts - currently in 24" position

[​IMG]
    Burly 10mm dropouts with replaceable derailer hanger, not that I am going to use it... ONE GEAR FOR LIFE

[​IMG]
    Huge suspension corrected fork, to replace 100mm travil fork - 9mm dropouts!!!

Alex

14. Needs black tape-wounds - see Nino's stealth bass thread in the Basses section.