Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My new Skyline 55-02 Deluxe

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jermyandhisbass, Jan 13, 2003.

1. Well it finally came. It's cherry sunburst with a AAAA quilt top. There are a few complaints, but hey it isn't a 55-94 (and it didn't cost as much either) I love Bart electronics and pickups now. One of the complaints is how sterile it sounds with both pickups 50/50. But WOW at 55-60% neck pickup it sounds killer. Went with a maple fretboard, first one I have ever had. Bright and snappy, but will need some time to get used to. The gain control may be a bit too high, but no problems with that, right? Definitely versatile, I just need to find my own sound. I don't have a digital cam or else there would be a picture right here. Any other 5502s with maple boards out there?

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Mine has the maple board and the Bart electronics/pups, like yours.

IMO, it doesn't sound "sterile" by any means, no matter how the pups are blended. But the Bart pups + the maple neck/fretboard + the hard ash body + "Lakin voodoo" will certainly give notes superb definition and clarity.

FWIW - I stopped using the Lakland strings (actually GHS strings), tried some Pedullas, but I like DR stainless steels on it more.

Have you tried the different settings for the mids using the dip switches in the preamp yet???

3. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I used to own a 55-94 Deluxe. When it first arrived the internal gain trim pot was set too hot. It would overdrive my amp if I dug in on the B and A. I turned it down a bit and then it was fine.

I experimented with the mid dip switches, and recall that I may have settled on the 700 or 750hz setting for funk and R & B. I kind of forgotten the frequency points since I sold it over a year ago.

4. One of the first things I did was change the mid frequency dipswitches to 700 hz actually. Rickbass- what DR strings are you using? The dealer told be the tapered B string is a matter of opinion. As long as it is 38" to the silk I will be fine stringing through body, an option I really love. Anyone interested in a Skyline check with Steve and www.superbass.com. He was AWESOME to deal with, and when GAS hits again I will go back to him. Has anyone tried D'Aquisto strings? Steve is going to possibly become a dealer and I wondered how the would work with my bass. This is the exact model I got found here:
    http://basspalace.com/dynamic/displaybass/MultiStringBass/2722

5. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    I chose 750, but I have not experimented with it yet. The gain was hot on mine as well. I would not describe the 50/50 setting as sterile, but possessing less character that 40/60 or 60/40.

6. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Right now, it has Lo Riders. But next string change, I'll put DR "Marcus" (Fat Beams) on it. Although I like what the Marcus do for me more, that's no dis at all on the Lo Riders.

I tried the Lakland (GHS) nickels that came on it when I bought it and also their stainless. But I like the Lo's better than either of those.

I agree - tapered IS a matter of opinion.........to my ears, on THIS bass. Ya never know - one make of strings that sounds great on one bass sounds lackluster on another bass with different woods/electronics/hardware/design/construction. I used to have a Carvin LB75 with a quilted maple/alder body and an ebony fretboard that begged for tapered strings.