Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

my new skyline JO5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Yvon, Dec 19, 2003.

1. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I finaly received (after some problems with UPS) my new Lakland skyline JO5 today.
    The bass has a swamp ash body with a maple neck and a rosewood fingerboard. Pickups are Lindy Fralin.
    I played the bass for about an hour so far here at home, I haven't tried it in my rig or with my band yet. So this is a very preleminar review!
    The bass is not very heavy but its not light weight either, maybe around 9lbs. The sound it relatively bright for a passive bass with a rosewood fingerboard but it's still quite warm. The E string sound HUGE!
    The B string is ok, it's not the best I've heard but it is still pretty good. The finish look great, I haven't spot any problem with the finish so far.

My only 2 problems will be cheap and easy to solve. The volumes controls...Everything happend in the first quarter of the range. Also, the tone control is not very effective. The sound doesn't change much. Anybody have an idea to upgrade those? I don't know anything about pots.
    I will probably ask the luthier to install the new pots along with a push pull volume that will bypass everything and maybe a serie/paralel switch.

here are some pics.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    that is beautiful. put active circuitry in there and id have to kill you :D it looks like you have played it alot, judging by all the finger marks!

enjoy her man!

3. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    Don't worry about that!
    That's one of the reason I bought that bass, I wanted a good passive five string.

4. boo

boo

Oct 12, 2002
    Netherlands
    Just put a J-Retro in it!!!!!
    Sounds Amaaaaaazing :D :D :D

Here are some pics of my JO 5 with the the J-retro
    in it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Great bass! I bought one of these for my Xmas present to myself last year, and I love playing this bass. I had Dan Lakin drop in a J-Retro preamp, and I've been very happy with the active tone.

If you don't want to get killed by Kirby, keeping the bass passive is also a great way to go. I have three friends with passive Skyline JO5s. Their basses sound very nice as well. I have to compliment Lindy Fralin, they put out very nice passive pickups for this bass. IMHO, the passive tone has a vintage Fender Jazz bass vibe to it, but it also has a nice contemporary low-end & mid-bass punch to it. The bass has a bit of refined highs which are still complimentary to the Jazz Bass vibe, and not to be characterized as Hi-Fi.

I tried tweaking my B's response by 1) stringing through the body to get a more resonant tone, and 2) wrapping the string around the B's tuning post by about 3 whole times around the post to get the string to sit slightly better across the nut.

6. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    you pictures doesn't work!

7. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    What I will probably do is buy an outboard preamp. Like this I will have the choice to run it passive or active. I thought about the outboard J-retro. I contacted them already. I am also interested in the microbass2 from EBS. Look very interesthing.

8. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Yvon,

I forgot to mention that if you install an on-board J-Retro and switch it to the "passive" option using the little toggle switch in order to bypass the active EQ, the bass does not quite sound like the truly passive JO5s. Thus, the outboard amp is a good idea.

I A/Bed my bass in "passive" mode with my friend's truly passive JO5s (no electronic preamps installed)and my bass does not sound the same as the truly passive bass. My bass sounded a bit less "lively", if you will. It's a very subtle difference, with slightly less highs and slightly less signal strength. I surmise that eventhough the J-Retro is in passive mode, the signal still has to travel through more components and wiring than the circuit in a truly passive bass, hence the different tone.

It should be noted that John Eastman has said that he intended the J-Retro's passive option to only be a "get out of trouble" feature in the event of battery failure. thus, it's not intended to be a feature allowing the bass to be a truly passive bass. If you want a passive tone, don't install an active preamp.

All of that said, I love the EQ capabilities of the J-Retro. Tons of low end balls, sizzling highs, and punchy mids are all available on demand. I particularly like the semi parametric mid control. I can get anything from an old school vintage Fender tone to that in-your-face Marcus Millar slap tone. I still have respect for those who feel the passive bass is the way to go though. Keeping your bass passive and buying an outboard preamp is a good way to go. If you can, try these other outboard preamps/stomp boxes... Yamaha Nathan East preamp, Sadowsky preamp, Aphex Bass Exciter, etc.

9. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    Thanks a lot for the info!
    I am looking for a use outboard preamp right now. I wont buy anything before I can see and try the new EBS pre though.

Thank you!

10. It's John ]East, not Eastman. John Eastman is a multi-talented musician, and a great guy. He's not the same as the J-Retro John East, but I can understand the confusion.

BTW, Steve Dude Barr is ground zero for J-Retro, Barr none. http://pub206.ezboard.com/fthedudepitfrm2[/url

11. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Thanks Mr GG, I stand corrected on John East's name. you know the memory fails you as you get older, and I'm pretty much over the hill. :(

12. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    Thank you smash, more reasons to go with an outbaord preamp.
    And I will try other capacitors on the tone control, thank you.

13. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I played a Chris Larkin bass that had an EBS pre installed...amazing sounding preamp!!!:D