Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

!!!!My new Smith 4 string!!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jivetkr, Apr 16, 2004.

1. jivetkr

jivetkr

May 15, 2002
    NJ
    Check out what my wife to be bought me! This is the finest instrument I have ever touched. Its perfect for me.

Specs:
    NECK: Bolt-On 3-Piece-Laminated Neck of Hardrock Maple
    FINGERBOARD: Quartersawn Rosewood Fingerboard w/ Mother of Pearl Side Dots
    BODYWINGS: 3- Piece laminated Body Wings consisting of Highly Flamed Tiger Maple Top & Back with a Black Walnut Core

The flat sound is "the" sound in my head. The high end is so sweet sounding. Plus with the eq you can dial in a ton of tones. I LOVE the back pickup tone with the highs rolled off a bit & bass boosted a bit. Cuts like a knife.

I just wanted to say that the guys at bass emporium could not have been nicer & easier to work with. They took the time to discuss the bass with me in depth, set it up, put new strings on it & had it shipped to me in NJ in no time. I was planning on buying my bass from Rudy's but they were so rude, I didnt want to give them any business.

Also, the crew from Smith basses called me today! They wanted to let me know that they got my warrantee & to see how I liked the bass. I really didnt expect a call...That was just sugar on top of an already stellar bass purchase experience. If I need another, my next bass will definatly be a Smith.

I could not be happier.

Check out the pics.

2. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    can your girl call mine????

nice bass dude.... and an even nicer girl...... she's a keeper for sure.

let me guess she plays drums too??? :bawl:

3. jivetkr

jivetkr

May 15, 2002
    NJ
    Thanks dude. Yeah, I couldnt ask for a cooler girl....she bought me a Smith! I still cant beleive its sitting on a stand in my living room.

4. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    you need to share with the class bro..... any clips, pics of the back?

5. Tumbao

Tumbao

Nov 10, 2001
    FL
    Your Perfect bass, Excellent Dealer service, Top Personal manufacturer warranty service, comprehensive wife... You are a lucky guy! Congrats!

6. jivetkr

jivetkr

May 15, 2002
    NJ
  7. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    Best basses on the planet...Congratulations...If you are like me this will be the first of many of Ken's creations...

Interesting..my wife bought me my newest Smith...

8. jivetkr

jivetkr

May 15, 2002
    NJ
    You got that right don

My next one will be a neck through 4 sting with the walnut top & maple core.

Its funny...I thought I had a high end bass when I got my warwick streamer stage II, but the smith crushes it on every level. And what kills me is that the warwicks are more money!

9. uglycicles

uglycicles Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Southwest Chicago
    Beautiful - congrats!! :bassist:

Hopefully, you don't have the same agreement my wife and I have:

I get a new bass/amp/something expensive.....she gets jewelry.

We've been eating Ramen and live in a cardboard box, but I have what I want and she's got the bling. Everyone's happy.
    :p

10. jivetkr

jivetkr

May 15, 2002
    NJ
    If my wife wants an agreement like that, thats fine with me.

11. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    I know...The thing about Ken's basses...He's like an alchemist...turning sand into gold...his bolt-on's sound like everyone else's neck-thru's.

I really do not think you can get any better...and he doesn't think of himself as a luthier...

12. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Well, unfortunately, it is the other way around here... Warwicks are over 20-25% cheaper than list, or maybe even less, but American-made basses are 10-25-30-...% more expensive then even their retail... :(
    damn dealers! :mad: :spit:

13. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Wow you have a wonderful wife. You will love that bass! I have the 5 string version and it smokes. They are amongst the finset basses around IMO. Enjoy, Enjoy!!

14. jivetkr

jivetkr

May 15, 2002
    NJ
    I cant get over how great the finish feels. I wish my other basses had the same finish.

How often do you use the "secret sauce" that comes with the bass?

15. JohnThomasson

JohnThomasson Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Mesa Boogie, DR Strings, Fender, Source Audio & Fishman
    I live in Austin and I am a Bass Emporium junkie. John is the best and I am there several days a week. I have played that exact bass and it is really nice. Congrats! Now if someone will buy my custom Ed Reynolds 6 string and Aggie DB 680 from there I'll be happy and ready to feed my GAS.

16. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    There's something ultra-cool about high-end four stringers. And that Smith is awesome. Reminds me of a line from "Sweet Little Angel". "I axed my baby for a nickel, and she gave me a twenty-dollar bill."

17. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    no, no, the "secret sauce" IS the finish...

18. man that is a sweet bass. i have been wanting a smith lkie the one that you have, but i dont have any money.

19. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
  20. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    I totally understand. Nice bass you have there. Here's my Smith: