Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My new solo bass/drums CD

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Jonesy4fnk, Mar 4, 2004.

1. Jonesy4fnk

Jonesy4fnk Supporting Member

I just released my new album "Meaningful Sounds".

2 min. sound clips and sold at:
    http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/jonesy

Its all performed on 6 string basses, MIDI bass, upright bass, acoustic and electronic drums, loopers, and theremin. An instrumental mix of world/tribal rhythms and ambient soundscapes.

Let me know what you think.
    Peace.

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Very...interesting...to say the least. Not really my bag, but I did dig a couple tracks. Very experimental with some of the rhythms, and I like that, a lot of rhythmic dissonance in a sense, but it fits pretty well. Good playing all around, though I'm not too fond of the drum tone most of the time, or the bass tone most of the time, that's just my opinion. I do like a lot of the (I'm assuming) MIDI sounds that pop up from time to time, very good use of the MIDI.

3. Jonesy4fnk

right on thanks for checking it out. I do like using the MIDI bass.

4. Jonesy4fnk

thought I'd bump this for any new input about my disc.

5. BryLMoo

BryLMoo

Mar 25, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    i love this. i want the cd!

6. Jonesy4fnk

thanks man,

grab it from CDBaby.com if you can.

7. bassjamn

bassjamn

Jan 4, 2002
    San Francisco
    Great Work Jonesy :)

8. Jonesy4fnk

thanks a lot.

here a review from a local music mag.

From the June 2004 Chesapeake Music Guide.
    Artist: Jonesy • Title: Meaningful Sounds • Label: self • Web: nakedjunglemusic.com By: Michael Macey micmason@hotmail.com

Jonesy is Bryan Jones, a very talented bassist and percussionist who has brought together more than a few experimental elements to make his wonderful soundscape Meaningful Sounds (with regard to random themes). A totally original musical collage, MS captivates the listener hypnotic with rhythms and atmospheric production. Not quite new age, not quite world music, MS has influences from those genres along with a touch of trance and industrial metal. This melange provides a nice balance that’s excellent as either a straight ahead sitdown and listen or as a soundtrack in the background as you go about life. Jones plays all the instruments which include 6 string, midi and upright basses, loops, percussion, and theremin, and describes his work as "experimentations and spontaneous raw ideas”. Though the album was pieced together from various recordings throughout the years, it has a surprising continuity to it that makes it flow seamlessly from start to finish. A couple of tunes that go from one extreme to the other are cuts like Hope and Warpath, the first with its beautiful melody and intertwined bass lines, to the latter’s industrial barrage of tribal urgency and feeling of impending doom. They couldn’t be more different, but segue together perfectly. I think this album will appeal to fans of Leo Kottke and Michael Hedges, as it’s similar in texture and sound as some of their work, as well as ambient music lovers. Songs like Twilight prayer and Tale of more could have been lifted from a Tangerine Dream record. Mix and edited by Ryan Cullen and mastered at LSP Studios, MS WRTRT is very nicely produced and some of the songs will give your subwoofer a workout. If you’re looking for something a little out of the ordinary, but still very listenable, then Meaningful Sounds is definitely worth checking out.

9. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    neat stuff, judging by the samples. Sounds like fun!
    We use many of the same instruments in our lineup. Interesting to see how someone else orchestrates them.

wanna swap CD's?

10. Kavorka

Kavorka

Mar 28, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    I truly like it - different but entirely pleasing. I'm going to have to order a CD so I can listen to this at work!

11. Jonesy4fnk

thanks for the feedback.....

12. Jonesy4fnk

I just reloaded CDBaby.com if anyone was interested in my CD.

13. robe

robe

Oct 19, 2003
    Australia-Brisbane
    i agree with everyone....awesome!

14. Jonesy4fnk

thanks.....

15. Very, very nice. A very nice break from the mainstream. What is your recording setup?

16. Jonesy4fnk

thanks.....

I recorded everything on a Yamaha MD8, 8 track minidisc. The bass and MIDI bass/percussion tracks were recorded direct. And the acoustic drums/percussion/upright bass were recorded using a couple AKG C1000s. Then I took it to a friend with a Roland VS2480 where we enhanced, edited, and mixed. Next time I'll do the whole album on the VS2480.

17. Jonesy4fnk

Just wanted to revive this topic for anyone interested in checking out my solo CD.

peace.

18. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    Great effort dude.

You should be proud!

19. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I don't dig the bass tone or the drums. The music had it's moments, but I didn't care for it for the most part.

Take this with a grain of salt as I think in general solo-bass music is pretty boring.

Good luck with the music,
    Adam

20. Jonesy4fnk

that's cool thanks for the feedback.