Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My new speaker sounds like crap, why?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by slaphancock, Sep 18, 2002.

1. slaphancock

slaphancock

Feb 13, 2002
    I just bought an aguilar gs115. It sounded perfect in the store--I hooked it up to three different amp heads, and it sounded sweet with all of them. But when I get it to the rehearsal space, plug it in, and slowly turn up the volume, it sounds like crap. The low end buzzes, and it's not a good buzz. The high end is fine, but the lows sound like they're almost flapping (it's almost sounds like there's a hole in the woofer). There's no hole, though.

What could this be? Here are my thoughts, none of which are well informed:
    (1) the speaker or driver could have "broke" during transportation--does this ever happen? I rolled it on its casters over some small bumps, but I didn't think that would hurt it.

(2) my amp head isn't strong enough to power the lows. It's a 300watt Laney (circa 1980) and has seen a lot of use. It powers my Peavey 1516 just fine though.

Can somebody help me out here? I'm pretty frustrated. . .

2. You're back to problem solving #1:
    - Bring it back to the store and try it with those three heads again... does it still sound like crap or is it back to Aggie thick and saucey.
    - You also brought your head along, right? (You should have tried it with this head before you dropped your bucks). How does it sound with this head? Do other speakers sound any better/worse with this head?

I know this sucks, but it will tell you if the speaker cab sucks, if the speaker cab sustained damage, if your head sucks, or if your head is simply not compatable with that speaker cab.

Good luck!

3. Another thing you might check is your EQ. When I got my WT-400 and Eden 210 I fround myself trying too hard to EQ it to get the right sound. It was farting out like you describe and I was very disappointed. I called Gard and he set me straight. If your EQ is flat and you are still farting out, you might wanna take it back. Just a thought

Pete