Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

my "new" squier 20th anniversary J

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gov_E, Feb 10, 2005.

1. Gov_E

Gov_E

Feb 10, 2005
    Florida
    hey guys, I'm sure the topic of Squier Jazz Basses has been beat to death, but I've been up for 3 days and nights trying to find ANYTHING out about my new bass.

Here's the deal - I don't play bass. I've played drums for 15 years, and guitar for maybe 6. I've been thinking about buying a bass for a while now, found this one at closeout and decided to pick it up *CHEAP*.

Anyhoo, it's a squier standard Jazz Bass, MII. Now the strange thing that I can't figure out is that it has a '20th Anniversary' plate on the back. Does this mean I just bought a "new" 2002? I can only assume its been sitting in a box for 2/3 years.

Does anyone know anything about these 20th anniversary models? It seems to be very well crafted, I lined it up next to several MIMs, and thought the quality was right on par.

thanks
    Gov_E

2. Gov_E

Gov_E

Feb 10, 2005
    Florida
    another thing, you'll see me lurking around the for sale forums as I try to build a rig. I have pretty good rep at clubrsx.com, please don't be nervous if i contact you about buying something.

3. Gov_E

Gov_E

Feb 10, 2005
    Florida
    anyone? looks like this: [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. jasonc

jasonc

Feb 3, 2005
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Hi, I actually own one. I got it at Guitar Center not even 2 years ago. I have also have a Fender American Jazz. Honestly, comparitively... I like them equally. The Jazz costed a considerable amt more, but truthfully the P Bass special (yes- squire special) is a really awesome bass. I like the wide tonal control with both the P and J pick up options. It's an awesome bass. Mine also came in the color you have posted with the 20th ann. plate. It's a really nice bass to play. As I said, I play that and my Fender MIA Jazz equally. People have knocked the MII basses - but I love this god damned thing!

5. Gov_E

Gov_E

Feb 10, 2005
    Florida
    thats rad Jason, that was exactly the kind of feedback I was hoping for.

It's a pretty sweet color, right? Looks silver in some light, gold in others.

:hyper:

6. jasonc

jasonc

Feb 3, 2005
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Yeah, the color is awesome. I can't find it on Fender's web-site color chart, nor have I seen another until the guitar you posted. I don't know if it was some limited color for the 20th Anniversary Series or what. Anyhow, it looks sweet and plays unlike other Squiers I've played. :bassist:

7. I had a Jb Squier Anniversary 20th as my first bass.

I like the sound that was very nice, either smooth or quite barky, depending on right hand attack.
    However, it was difficult to have it setup properly for short action, and I noticed the neck was not so straight when humidity in the air vary.

Since I have been buying another higher end Jb.
    I have been reading here and there that one could try MIJ Jb and get a nice one that worth it

8. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    I never played the Jazz, but my brother in law has a 20th anniversary Squier Strat and it's not too bad. It's put together pretty well, sounds nice, and is also pretty nice looking (a purple metallic paint job).

I wouldn't compare it to a guitar costing $1000+, but it's a decent guitar for the money. If the Jazz is anything like his, I'm sure you'll be happy with it.

DISCLOSURE - I'm a very satisfied Squier owner as well. My 6 string is one of the early Squier Strats, an '83 or '84. It's hard to see, but it's the black guitar in my avatar. I've been playing bass almost exclusively for the last few years, but I don't ever envision selling that guitar.

9. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    That color is an anniversary color only I believe. They stopped using it I thought cause it turns green over time, but maybe the corrected their paint mix or something.

Found some more info on the color:

This is from a timeline for 1979 25th Anniversary Strats:

The first ones were painted a pearl white and the finish didnt hold up very well at all, cracks and peels and stuff.

"After the first 500 or so, the color of the remaining 9,500 was changed to Porsche Silver, certainly a sensible move from the standpoint of finish stability and the fact that it happened to be the Silver Anniversary."

I did read some other reviews though that said the Silver does turn greenish over time, but apparently held up a lot better than the original pearl white ones they made of the strats. I guess the continued the color to other anniversary models.