Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My new Stat-B sounds thin and forward firing speaker to go with the Clarus.

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by MarkH, May 21, 2003.

1. MarkH

MarkH

Apr 12, 2003
    London, U.K.
    Hi there,

Thanks for the responses to my 'Any advice gratefully received' questions posted last month.

I ended up buying a Schertler Stat-B, amongst many other things.

I got the pickup back to my hotel room (..I was on the road when I bought it), looked through the instructions and started cutting and sanding until the pickup roughly fit in under the arms of the bridge.
    I have to say that I've never seen a bridge the shape of the one in the diagram and that when I attempted to fit the pickup vertically, as the instructions suggest, I found that only about 40% of the bottom black part of the pickup was contacting with the actual wood(...unlike the instructional drawing).
    I therefore had to rotate it and add a little bit of paper above the cork to get the bottom part to contact fully...so now its at about '4 o'clock.
    Is this the reason it sounds a little thinner than I expected?
    Is it possible to change the cork and start again?
    Has anyone else had this problem or are there any secrets to getting a really full sound out of the Stat-B?
    Since then I've been blending it with a K&K max and the whole thing is sounding pretty full and good but if I'm not getting the best out of the Schertler I'd like to know.

I also bought a Clarus amp head while on the road in the States.
    I'd like to get a new, front firing cab that would suit it...any ideas?
    I've always preferred 10 inch speakers to 12s and 15s.What about the EA 10 inch cab with the Clarus?
    Ok, that's enough questions for one night.

Thanks,

Mark

2. The EA cabs are very popular with the Clarus. You probably couldn't go wrong.

3. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Can't help with the Schertler question (Monte is the man for that), but I can say that I used a Clarus with EA cabs as my main rig for quite a while and was quite pleased with the sound. I own a CXL112 and a VL208. I prefer the 208 for straight ahead, but it's a power hungry little bugger. The CXL series is much more efficient, and a bit more "in your face" while still being remarkably true sounding. Be warned though, the speaker "dispersion factor" on the CXL cabs can be a bit unnerving at first - they sound a bit ragged when you're sitting on top of them, but get 6-10 feet away, and they're smooth as silk. A Clarus and a CXL series cabinet is a great match as long as you don't need to shatter any windows.

4. And if you do need to do so, a Clarus and a pair of Aguilar GS112s will handle all of your glass-breaking needs.

:D

5. mje

mje

Aug 1, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    Got two EA-10s I use with a Clarus for EB, EUB and UB. Love 'em.

6. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    Hmm, this doesn't sound anything like my experience with the Stat-B, which seemed to have too much bottom end if anything. I would wonder if the mic capsule in the cork is damaged or the RCA to 1/4" plug is no good. I would e-mail Ellen Tait , the new US rep. She may not know the problem, but Stephan will probably know, and have a suggestion. They have excellent customer service.

As an aside, I regret selling mine, and have another on order. It will fill the niche for higher volume gigs and gigs when I'm on the road (and jam sessions) that want me to play through a house bass amp, which is harder to do with the Dyn B.

Monte

7. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Ellen Tait? What happened to Lou Roten?

8. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    Apparently, he and the owners had a disagreement on marketing methods. It's a shame; I thought he was doing a nice joh. Ellen is nice and seems very competent. She may not know all the tech details, but she isn't afraid to admit when she doesn't know and find out for you.

Monte

9. Yes, replacement corks are available from Schertler. With this pickup, it is essential that it fits properly. You may find it necessary to have a different style bridge fitted in order to get a proper fit. The closer you can get it to point toward the foot of the bridge, the better it will sound. Since you say that you had to add paper to get it to fit, I would guess that your fit is too loose and that can affect the output from the Stat-B. It's not just tightness, but the overall surface contact that counts. The Stat-B is a great pickup, but definately not the easiest to install properly.

10. MarkH

MarkH

Apr 12, 2003
    London, U.K.
    Dear all (...especially Monte),

Thanks for the info re the Schertler

Questions, questions, questions

When you first fit your Stat-B were you able to fit it vertically,or did you have to fit at an angle like mine?

Do you think the fact that I've got a little bit of paper between the cork and the wood (..in order to make it fit snugly)causing a problem?

Did you notice much of a change in sound when you fitted it losely or tightly?
    Perhaps I meant bright as opposed to thin in my initial post.
    The bass end is pretty well covered, I just feel there's a little to much 'ping' and 'pop' at the top of the sound.
    ...into my old GK combo it sounds a little rounder but through the Clarus it's a bit 'twangy'.

I don't think there's anything actually wrong with it...as the signal is really strong.
    Perhaps I've just installed it badly...D.I.Y was never my strong suit.

Thanks again.

11. MarkH

MarkH

Apr 12, 2003
    London, U.K.
    Thanks Bob....

Didn't see your post as was busy writing mine.

Interesting stuff...

New bridge though...'have to be honest and say I don't really fancy embarking on that at the moment.

Thanks for the advice anyway.

Cheers,

Mark.

12. Seppie

Seppie

Aug 14, 2002
    Austria, Vienna
    hi

regarding a cab...
    i can recommend the hevos midget plus...
    it´s a great 10" cab and weights approx 27lbs
    and acc the papers it handles 400w rms at 4ohm...
    lol sound amazing...but i think in reality its a bit less...
    but it gives a great fine sound...
    and they have a fine support there in holland...

gruesze sebastian

ps www.hevos.nl

13. poalf

poalf

Feb 27, 2003
    Phoenix, Az
    I've never been able to do an A-B comparison with or ever even had the opportunity to hear the EA, but I've been very pleased with my Raezers Edge Bass 10/Clarus combination (even though I have since defected to Schertler gear).

14. bassgeek

bassgeek

Oct 19, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    I'll second Poalf's recommendation of the Raezer's Edge Bass 10/Clarus combination. One of my bass playing friends summed it up best: he said, "It doesn't sound like a speaker, it sounds like a bass!"

BTW, I use a K&K Bass Max, but with all this talk of the Schertler stuff....