1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My new Steinberger Synapse - two pickups!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tjluke, Oct 31, 2010.

1. Tjluke

Tjluke

Aug 4, 2007
    Right or wrong, I've always been a fan of the L2/XL Steinberger bass: I currently own from 1996 a XL standard bass, but most of the time I don't gig with it because it's a 4 strings, and I need 5 strings.

XL5W basses are very rare and costly (for sure I will NEVER pay 10.000$ for one of them as I saw on the net...) and XL5's are too narrow as strings spacing...

So I buyed a Synapse XS15FPA, shape not too far from XL models, nice bass, very nice B string, but defenitely not my cup of tea because of the single pickup in the sweet position.

So here it is: let me introduce you my Synapse bass "modded" with 2 Magnetics (italian hand made) pickups (ceramic magnets, internal coils like EMG HB) in the same position of my XL bass plus new active equalizer (Magnetics).

Controls are now, starting from right to left: neck pickup volume, bridge pickup volume, magnetic/piezo blend, treble boost/cut, bass boost/cut.

I'm very happy :hyper:

Here are 2 pictures:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. richnota

richnota Gold Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2005
    Santa Cruz
    Clever fix. Especially the re-production pickups. Good luck

3. Tjluke

Tjluke

Aug 4, 2007
    Thank you Rich.

The owner of Magnetics company (who is also liuther) did a great job :bassist:

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Very clean job. Congrats.

5. BassBuzzRS

BassBuzzRS

Oct 18, 2005
    Norway
    Nice!

6. s4001

s4001

Feb 2, 2009
    Very nice. I wish Steinberger would've done that in the first place.

7. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Very nice upgrade and looks to have been very well done to.

8. Tjluke

Tjluke

Aug 4, 2007
    Thank you all for your nice comments!

I strongly agree with you!

9. maguire

maguire

Nov 24, 2010
    NYC / Westchester
    How does that plate sit with the curvature of the synapse body? Is it a flat plate or does it match the curve?

10. number11

number11

Jun 17, 2010
    How does it SOUND?

Did you disable the ghastly piezo pickup?

11. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    i want one! (enjoy)

12. Tjluke

Tjluke

Aug 4, 2007
    The plate sits with the curvature of the body by the screws.
    No problem at all.

It sounds very good :bassist:
    In a few days I will post some soundclips, stay tuned.

To me, piezo pickups on a fretted bass are, most of the time, useless but no, I didn't disable the ghastly piezo :D

Thank you!
    Anyway pickups, equalizer and the plate can be ordered at Magnetics Company.

13. Tjluke

Tjluke

Aug 4, 2007
    I tried to record something useful to evaluate the sound.

No piezo, sorry!

Listen:
    finger & pick: click!
    slap: click!

14. I just listened. It sounds fantastic to me. Very rich tone- I LIKE!

15. venom2303

venom2303

Oct 12, 2010
    Italy
    excellent work mate!! ;-)

16. Tjluke

Tjluke

Aug 4, 2007
    Thank you!

Grazie 1000!

17. buffalobillh

buffalobillh

Jul 20, 2005
    Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Samuel Shen Basses, NS Design, D'Addario Strings
    Very nice!

18. djpwalsh

djpwalsh

Feb 27, 2010
    MASSACHUSETTS
    I have a stock Stienberger Synapse 5 string and I miss the bridge pickup too (compared to a couple of others I have). What I found very frustrating was trying to get the bass to sound decent, (at least to me). You know it was "there somewhere" but requires significant changes to the amplifiers' tone controls to get close to anything I wanted anyone to listen to. For a couple of other active basses, I get (very nearly) everything I want for tone from three band controls and the pan on the bass.
    Now, I'm used to it and just "break down" and change the settings on the amps when I use this bass. Seems inconvienient. It's just not that "friendly", puts up a fight and takes some getting used to (and I wouldn't miss the "handling noise" when you bring up the piezo bridge). It has a narrow range of places that you can pluck the strings and expect it to "work", (and I have tried a couple of different kinds of strings). It should be less money. Fortunately, mine has great action and is very, very stable. Seems like I should be disappointed but..... I REALLY like it anyway, (maybe it's the looks??), it has to be something.

19. Tjluke

Tjluke

Aug 4, 2007
    ^^^
    The entire job was done by a friend of mine who is, in my opinion, one of the best liuther in Italy (link).

He also built the 2 pickups and the new active electronics.

20. Finally somebody that did it !!.. Congrats, it looks awesome! This bass has never been my cup of tea, and it is a little stubborn when it comes to tone, the only reason I got it is because I can fit it in almost every planes overhead compartment with no problem. *Ive also been trying out ideas with my guitar maker friends since the day i bought it, and the proble we've encountered is, since I thought of 2 single coils, the bridge pickup would be sitting right on top of the battery compartment in the back, meaning that we have veeeery little wood depth before we route a hole through the body, the single coils would stand too high forcing me to use a higher string action... Maybe the soap bars you used are not as tall and require a less deep PU route. *Any comments on this? Was that ever an issue to you or your luthier?.. Also , can u share his info?, I would love to work with him if possible, given the fact that I'm in the US and hes in Italy.... I would not mind at all to go the soapbar route, if single coils are a pain to work with...*