1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

My new Stingray 5!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Visirale, Apr 6, 2006.

1. Visirale

Visirale

Mar 23, 2003
    Orlando
    Well, my summer plans changed and my funds got freed up. I decided that my current bass was going to be my bass for smooth jazz type stuff, and I wanted something else for the more aggressive music I play. After a few trips to guitar center (yuck) I had ruled out the stingray. But I later found out that those were just old and set up very poorly. I then went to bass central. Doug had me try a stingray, even though I was pretty sure I didn't like it. It felt like a dream. It played much better than the ones in guitar center. I was in love... you know how it goes :).

So I went in today to choose what color I wanted it in. I went back and forth between some bursts and transparent colors. But I finally decided to settle on the natural with a black pickguard. I love it. It's pretty conservative with its aesthetics, yet it still looks pretty aggressive.

Here are some basic pictures... I'm going to go play some more, and maybe when if I need a break, I'll take some better pictures later.

Oh, and if anyone is in the FL area, I'll be playing this bass at the Port Orange Lakeside Jazz Festival near Daytona tomorrow at 2:00 pm. Seminole High School Jazz band. Come out please :).

I'm in love!

Attached Files:

2. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    Nice color combination!!!!!!!!!

3. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Nice bass. I sure like what's standing behind it too.

4. Greenman

Greenman

Dec 17, 2005
    Ontario Canada
    I bet it sounds nice thru that rig.:hyper:

5. Congrats, SR5 is a hard bass to beat!

6. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    Congrats-welcome to the club. The Ray5 can definately do the aggressive tone. Ironically enough, that's why i'm looking to pickup a GOOD J5 [probably a Nordy VJ5] is so that i can get a bass that can sound a bit more mellow than what the Ray5 can.

I can only imagine what the Ray5 will sound like through that monster of a rig.

During high school-my ray5 played everything from jazz to metal to show tunes. Twas a blast.

good luck at the jazz fests.

7. Welcome to the SR5 club for the undeniably cool. And you automatically get your first star for also having Ampeg behind you.

8. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    I've always liked natural with a black pickguard on the SR5. Black cherry burst with a tortoise (or black) pickguard and matching headstock is also killer.

9. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Welcome to the club,nice bass

10. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    Wow, nice bass! congrats! I'll bet it sounds incredible through that amp setup.

11. Daywalker

Daywalker

Apr 13, 2005
    SOCAL
    Congrats! It always feels good to bring home and play new gear.

12. Congratulations! I am gonna get me some Stingray one day!
    Mitch

13. Congrats! Same colour combo as my baby!

Enjoy :hyper:

14. Visirale

Visirale

Mar 23, 2003
    Orlando
    Man. I love this thing. The tone is so amazing. So lively... and beautiful... not pretty beautiful... but you know. In jazz band yesterday, everyone was loving it. It really cuts through the mix. During warmups, I had it on the normal volume that I usually play at, and some trumpet player came and turned down my amp (arghhhh)... But apparently those mids do cut through.

The festival was ok. Not our best show. But man, that bass just plays so nice. The neck is so quick and smooth. I'm in love :).

15. 1zero

1zero

May 20, 2005
    congrats on a great bass dude!i've played an SR5 before and the tone really amazed me...shame i dind't have the money to get it though :meh:

16. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    So can he still play trumpet with the one hand he has left?

17. xring

xring

Sep 16, 2003
    Ohio
    I caught that too. Tell the trumpet player "hands off the amp!"