Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My New Stingray

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lewk, Feb 24, 2004.

1. Lewk

Lewk

Oct 19, 2003
    Hey guys,

I just bought my first stingray! it's absolutey wonderful so far. I got it used for a good price, it's natural ash, wonderful piece of wood, rosewood fingerboard, 3 band eq. the neck is ever so slightly thinner than other rays i've played too, which makes it even more comfortable, and the neck has some lovely swirls in the patterning of the grain. Oh man, it even smells nice!!!!

I will post pics as soon as I have found my digital camera.

I'm so happy with it, it's my first "high end" bass and joins the ranks of my ultra cheap fretless, and my ibanez EDA-900. Oh man i love this thing!

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Nice, very nice. Very very. I await pictures eagerly. Congratulations.

3. Lewk

Lewk

Oct 19, 2003
    Well heres a pic, the others didnt come out right cos my digital camera SUCKS indoors at night. So heres the frontal that came out, i'll add some daylight shots of the neck and stuff tomorrow.

[​IMG]

4. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI

WOW! The natural finish with rosewood is stunning! The neck looks a little jazz bassish, that's cools it's a little skinny. I know it wasn't your first pick but after seeing it I wouldn't say you settled, nice find. :bassist:

5. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    Nice, it looks like a great bass. Please try to get some more pics in better lighting soon!

:bassist:

6. nivagues

nivagues

Jan 18, 2002
    Pure unadulterated CLASS!

7. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    Crap, I think I have one of those - natural w/rosewood - coming this week. Two band EQ, too.

I really need to get rid of some basses.

Pretty, aren't they?

8. primesuspect

primesuspect

Feb 11, 2004
    Detroit, MI
    Beautiful.. I really need to get a 4 string.... I've wanted a stingray for years. :bassist:

9. Lewk

Lewk

Oct 19, 2003
    I so admire your collection of musicman basses, that latest one you have in the burnt apple (or whatever its called) is gorgeous.

Heres a pic of the backside taken in daylight. I can't get a good shot of the neck, cos my camera is so incredibly dire (it hates reflections of any kind). it basically looks slightly flame mapled, and sort of shimmers in the light. its beautiful.

[​IMG]

10. nivagues

nivagues

Jan 18, 2002
  11. There's nothing quite like a good piece of ash.

12. nivagues

nivagues

Jan 18, 2002
    >>>>>Crap, I think I have one of those - natural w/rosewood - coming this week. Two band EQ, too.

Why wasn't I told Bovie?

(Ok, you're telling me now :smug: )

13. Hey Lewk, that is one beautiful piece of wood.

Welcome to the EB Music Man clan. ;)

I have an Ibanez too. (EDA905F). I remember talking to you a few moths ago about piezo settings. If I may suggest a Stingray setting I'm getting to like: Bass - 7, Mids - 7, Treble - 3. Play over or behind the pup and it gives a nice tight Jass bass-type sound.

Congrats.

Mike :)

14. Lewk

Lewk

Oct 19, 2003
    Cheers MJ, it's weird as **** this, you were the first person on here who actually likes the EDA, and now you have a ray too.

YOU ARE THE NY EQUIVALENT OF ME. :ninja:

god i love these forums! and i <3 this stingray. i can't actually believe its mine, i keep having to think i'm going to have to give it back at some point.

15. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    That is a sweet bass! Is it really one piece for the body?

16. Lewk

Lewk

Oct 19, 2003
    yeah, it is*

*if it's not, someone has the glue skills of spiderman.

17. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    How does the neck feel, not like a big fat mans hairy Arse does it? :hyper:

18. Lewk

Lewk

Oct 19, 2003
    lollerskates!

haha. the neck is cool, i played a load of rays in the shops, and this one has the same satin feel, but its slightly thinner, depth wise, if you see what i mean. so it's the same width from bottom string to top, but from fingerboard to back of the neck its not quite as thick. it's unreal. and not *too* slippy slidey, i can still get a firm steady hold.

and only warwicks feel like a big fat hair man arse.

19. blaire

blaire

Jul 15, 2003
    The land of Rice
    Congrats on a nice bass. I have a stingray 4 and Ive been thinking about getting a sr5 but they are pricey. Also Ernie balls web site is pretty useless for selecting colors- nearly every time I check colors the side image comes up as "image unavailable" . But great basses!