My New Strings - Pirastro Jazzers

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Touch, Nov 27, 2002.

1. Touch

Aug 7, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Well I finally got around to stringing up the Pirastro Jazzers that Chris Fitzgerald sold me (Thanks Chris!). I guess I should say that Francois sold me on the strings and I bought them from Chris.

I had been using D'Addario Helicore Hybrids on this 100 year old German carved top. I put on a Jamey Aebersold CD (Vol. 2, Nothing But The Blues) to give them a test drive.

First impression ... sustain, sustain sustain. A lot of pleasant growl. Good attack too. Did I mention sustain? I did need to raise the adjuster on my G-string a hair. The E string seemed to have a little less bottom than the HHs, but it was not too thin. The balance across the strings was fairly uniform.

All things considered I am quite pleased with these strings. Thanks to the TB string crew for all the helpful comments.

2. Seppie

Aug 14, 2002
    Austria, Vienna
    yeah i love also my jazzers...
    had some thomastik copy´s on my romunian bass before....
    but now with the jazzers a new world opened to my playing!
    and they are very fingerfriendly...

brgds sebastian
  3. mje

Aug 1, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    How do they respond to the bow?
  4. Seppie

Aug 14, 2002
    Austria, Vienna
    the respond pretty fine...
    the e is growling...(the right thing for wagner!)
    the a and d are more balanced....
    and the g string can be very scratching...

but thats only my opinion...and played by me with my crappy bow, pops rosin...and my expirience from 7 months of playing db...

also i never played real strings designed for bowing...

rgds sebastian
  5. From my Experience, I tried Jazzer E and A with Obligato G and D on my 7/8 old German Plywood bass. Jazzer is more bowable than Spirocore. However, when compared with Flexocore, Corelli 370 TX, Varicore, that is difference story.

Moreover, I found that Jazzer's tone is round and darker than Spircore, with a little bit more tension than Spirocore wein (Light).