1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

my new strings (rounds) are dull and muddy

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Matthew Bryson, Apr 11, 2006.

1. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    I've been using Ernie Ball Regular Slinkies for some time. I like the way that they sound. I was doing some recoding last night and decided that once I had a good take down with my old Ernie Balls, I'd put on a new set and compare the difference in sound. Also, I'd been wanting to try heavier strings so I did.

I usually like new strings and expected to prefer that sound. When I went from the semi-old standard slinkies to the brand new heavy gauge slinkies, without touching any settings on my bass, amp, or 4 track recorder - my sound completely went to crap. I expected brighter, more zing, more growl, more punch. What I got was dull and muddy. Very disappointing. Not to mention the incredible amount of force I had to use to tune the things to pitch. I stopped half way through tuning my D string to double check and make sure I wasn't trying to tune an octave high or something. of course, the only real problem is that I didn't like the sound - the dull and muddy sound problem was most noticeable of my E string.

Is this normal for heavy gauge strings? (the dull muddy sound) Is it a technique issue, that I did not adjust my right hand technique enough for the heavier strings? In other words, was I just not playing hard enough for that big string, or will heavy gauge always sound muddier? Or did I just get a bad string?

2. Lunardecay

Lunardecay

Mar 6, 2006
    I think they may just be bad....
    I dont really use slinkies but I use very heavy guage strings and have never had that problem.