1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My New Super J

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Smallequestrian, Oct 27, 2006.

1. Smallequestrian

Smallequestrian Rock and/or Roll

Jul 6, 2004
    New Jersey
    This is great, I found a fretted that feels as good in my hands as my fretless Bongo does. Not that any of the other basses I had didn't feel good, but measuring up to my fretless Bongo was no easy task.

First impression is wow...its really purple. I dig the colour, I dig it a lot, but its not exactly Burgundy Mist. The warranty card that came with it actually calls it Purple Burgundy Mist. The finish has some metallic sparkle in it, similar to my fretless Bongo.

Bass weighs 8 pounds 12 ounces and balances perfectly. The neck is one of the best, although I seem to remember Strangeglow's P/J being a bit deeper but his was an earlier model. I will be interested in comparing the two next weekend. Construction is superb. I was over at Pete Skjold's shop today where he had a USA Lakland Joe Osborne around. The Super J seemed to be better put together.

Even though a bunch of people on the Dingwall board say they play theirs passive most of the time, I think they are crazy, active mode is where its at. Not too many bad sounds in this thing. It is weird going from the 4 band preamps on the Bongos to the 2 band on the Dingwall though.

Here are some pics:
    DSCN0613.jpg
    DSCN0616.jpg
    DSCN0617.jpg
    DSCN0618.jpg

2. Orco87

Orco87

Mar 26, 2000
    Texas
    nice bass although when I look at it it makes me think I'm looking at something outta proportion or somethin. Is it weird to look at it angled like that?

3. playibanez

playibanez

Apr 3, 2006
    U.S.
    what is the point of building a bass like that rather then the normal straight frets and pick ups? is there any advantage?

4. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    The fanned fret system is supposed to give better intonation overall.

Very nice bass. What's your address, I'll be buy to take it off your hands :)

5. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    After hearing some clips of that model, I feel it must be one of the best sounding boutique Jazz basses available.

6. Very nice bass. Sexeh.

7. /drool

Yeah, that pretty much sums it up. :D

8. Don W

Don W

Jan 30, 2004
    East Bay, CA.
    Vert nice looking bass. Congrats!

9. Newget

Newget

Mar 10, 2006
    Nice boom stick, congrats. I will be making this same thread next thursday! :hyper:

10. Oxblood

Oxblood Inactive

Apr 17, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Im really liking that color, never thought I would like purple on a bass but this really looks nice. Bongo's & Dingwall's, very nice taste!

11. It looks great with the neck attached!! :) That fretboard is gorgeous too. Congrats on a real beauty :bassist:

12. Smallequestrian

Jul 6, 2004
    New Jersey
    Actually it has no real effect on intonation. Fan frets have some ergonomic benefits, but the best thing is the evenness of the tone and tension from string to string. This makes for some awesome playability and some great sounds.

13. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Oh my mistake. I had thought I read it was supposed to have benefit on intonation.

14. justinb515

justinb515

May 23, 2006
    Metropolis,IL
    :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: Wow that's one of the coolest basses I have ever seen. One day, I am going to inherit a fortune from some anonymous rich uncle somewhere and buy one of those. Probably not in purple though.

15. lbpark

lbpark

Apr 23, 2005
    AL
    Love that color!

I played a Super J last May at Bass Central. One of, if not the best, sounding and playing bass I've ever played. The fanned fret concept is pretty easy to grasp. Congrats!

16. bassman10096

bassman10096 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    MKE
    Great color. I haven't played a Super J, but I'm dying to. Enjoy it.

Out of my league among other physicists, but...I have heard and always understood that one of the disadvantages to having an E or B string shorter than 34" did result in more difficulties with intonation. I had believed an advantage to the fanned fret system (which I am really itching to try out) was that it permitted better intonation and more even tension. Luthiers who have a far better handle on set up and intonation have pretty consistently said they have the most trouble of all intonating the low strings of shorter scale basses. In my own experience, the low strings of short scale basses produce fewer harmonics and often are lacking in fundamental, compared to the higher strings. Conversely, longer low strings seem to do more than carry more tension - they have richer harmonics. That is the indicator of intonation, isn't it? Am I missing something?

17. FunkyLemz

FunkyLemz

Oct 17, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    me too!

I just played one at BassCentral this week -Sweet Bass!

18. That colour is beautiful!!! Congratulations. Is that a wenge or a rosewood fingerboard?

Is it just me or do a lot of Dingwalls seem to wind up in Texas?

19. Smallequestrian

Jul 6, 2004
    New Jersey
    The fretboard is Morado (i.e. Pau Ferro). And yes there are quite a few Dingwalls in Texas, amazingly so actually. I predict at some point this year there will be a Dingwall GTG in Texas.

20. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
    Deffinetly not wenge