My New SX Jazz Bass is here!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lokire, Dec 22, 2005.

1. First off, I apologize in advance for these pics. My camera broke yesterday (figures :rollno: ), so these were taken with a crummy webcam. Better than nothing though, right? I'll borrow my dads camera and take some better pics in the next couple days.

First Impressions: WOW!!! This thing looks fabulous. Much better than the Rondo pics convey. And it's a big, heavy beast too. Makes my Ken Lawrence feel like a feather in comparison (and it's nearly 9lbs I belive). The 3TS finish and the wood showing underneath is gorgeous. These pics don't show how rich the colors are. The neck looks really good with the block inlays and the binding, though they're both a little rough in places. The maple of the neck is really nicely figured all around too.

First thing I did - was take off the pickup cover, ashtray, and finger-rest - and peeled off the two layers of protective film covering the pickgaurd. Nice looking B/W/B pickgaurd. Then I restrung it with a lightly used set of DR lo-riders I had laying around. Then spent a good while adjusting the truss and action.

It's plays pretty good now, but could still use a bit of work. A fret dressing / leveling would probably be best. The frets are a bit rough/sticky with bending and sliding, and on the 12th and 15th frets, the A and D strings buzz pretty badly. Everywhere else is basically buzz free though, and with fairly low action, especially in the lower frets.

Sounds GREAT. I don't have a whole lot of experience with Jazz basses so I can't compare it to much, but it's definatly got some solid tone. Suprisingly good for how little it cost. I'll get some soundclips up in the next couple days
  2. draginon

Oct 4, 2004
    sx finishes are superb. I hope u enjoy the tone. :bassist: :bassist: :bassist:
  3. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Another SX user!
    Weight is my biggest issue with SXes but they are alot of bass for the money. Gotta love those figured necks. Mine is flamed maple.
  4. Definatly loving the tone, though I'm really missing the playing ramp that I'm used to playing with (on my Ken Lawrence). Ok, here's a soundclip of the bass, in the mix of a song I'm doing bass for. No drums yet, it's still in the early stages - but you get the idea. Demo.mp3

I'll do some solo clips later... :)
  5. It's definatly way, way heavy. My bathroom scale says about 12lbs. I've been sitting here with it for about 30 minutes now and my leg's starting to go numb :p

It's ok though. I'm young - I can take it :D
  6. Here are some way, way better pics:

7. That looks very impressive for the dollars Lokire!

Congrats :bassist:

You've got finger prints all over it already! :spit: lol
  8. That bass looks amazing. I love the way the wood grain comes through the sunburst. ALso I think the flow of the grain is beautifull.

If you don't mind, I was goin to attach my pictures of my SX I got on the same day as yours arrived. WHcih was a day early compared to when they said it would arrive. Is it okay with you if I posted my pictures? Then maybe this thread could become an X-Mas SX gifts thread. Just a thought.

9. Yeah, post away :)

Which one did you get?
  10. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    that bass is beautiful. Enjoy!
  11. Lokire

Very handsome bass!

SX basses are an unbelieveable value. My 62 Jazz in Lake Placid Blue has become my favorite bass.
  12. congratulations on the new bass Lokire!

It looks very nice :D

I'm very tempted by the 62 in Lake Placid Blue :D
  13. bad_andy

Sep 21, 2005
    Omaha, NE
    I've been gigging with my metallic blue "62" SX Jazz. Band mates and audience members who know me have all been very complimentary of the instrument's sound and appearance. Yours is gorgeous. Good job on the second set of shots. They really show off the wood grain.

+1 on a fret leveling and dressing. A luthier that I used to work for said that often a good fret dressing can make the difference between a "great deal" and a really great playing instrument. Right now mine is very comfortable to play left stock with only the strings and setup changed, but I think some attention to the frets will really make this baby shine. You might try heavier gauge strings to help lower the action. Mine was able to get lower action with a set of Earnie Ball .050-.105.

I'm glad the SX worked out well for you. Enjoy it in good health! :)
  14. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    WOW, that's one of the best looking sx's I have seen. I prefer a wavy grain, but your bass has the best wood matching I have seen on an sx. From the front, you could be forgiven for thinking it was a 1 piece body.

Very Nice!
  15. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Very cool looking bass! I think it looks best with the covers on, but that's just me.
  16. SGT. Pepper

SGT. Pepper Banned

Nov 20, 2005
    I have the same body finish but with the plain maple board.{SJB-57} They are awewsome basses for the money. So far I installed a Bad Ass on it. With the stock pups the strings don't exactly line up with the pole pieces with both the Bad Ass and the stock bridge. I filed the grooves in my bridge for a universal type fit, but a set a Bartolinis will add to the look and make it all come together because they have no pole pieces. The stock pups are both the same size but the cutouts are standard Jazz Bass cutouts, thats why aftermarket pups fit better. That bass you have is very nice and the sound clip you provided was very good. The sound of that bass is full and rich. Did you have any effects on it or was it straight up? If that was straight up thats one hell of a bass!
  17. I've been fighting the urge to pull the trigger one one of these for a while now. This post isn't helping AT ALL! haha

18. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Hmm... you might not want to read THIS thread, then. ;)
  19. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

nice bass , congrats !!
    love the woodgrain on the neck ...
    slap a tort pickguard on that baby and your'e done ... :D

BTW, is that a scratch { by the bridge pickup }, from taking off the covers ?
  20. Not cool.....Part of my next paycheck is going to Rondo! haha