Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My New SX SJB62TM Pics and Review

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by EricTheEZ1, Dec 16, 2004.

1. EricTheEZ1

EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    UPS pulled up about an hour ago and dropped off this baby. I bought it as a Christmas present for a friend of mine who is just starting to learn bass. As you can see, it's a Jazz 4 string with a Tiger Flame Maple top in Classic Sunburst. It's actually a pretty dark sunburst.

I'm having trouble attaching that new black pickguard because SX basses are slightly different than standard Jazz basses. The pickups are slightly larger and I think a couple of the holes are gonna be off by a few millimeters. Small price to pay for how cool it's gonna look.

The first thing I noticed was the quality of the finish and how off the setup was. The action was as high as an upright bass or something. Lowered the crap out of the action and adjusted the intonation. It's definetly slapable now, but the upper frets buzz something aweful when playing finger-style hard.

The Sound: I'm not used to this type of Vintage tone. My only bass right now is a Schecter Elite-4 bass with EMG 35J pickups. Everything about the Schecter's tone is great, but not vintage. This bass has a growl in the low end, lacks a bit in the high end, but a very warm sound nonetheless. It took a while for me to get used that old school slap tone, but it's a nice change of pace. Very tight and almost thick sounding slap sound.

It's definetly better than expected but it needs some DR strings and a professional setup to make it really awesome. Can't wait to show her.

-Eric.

2. I don't care if it's a triple omega Alembic, a Modulus Q5, or an SX SPB, it will benefit from that professional setup tailored for that instrument. Works every time. More people should realize this before condemning instruments - especially Fender style slabs that are, sort of, the "blank canvas's" of the bass artists world.

3. jacochops

jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Suzhou, China
    Yup! Hambone, that's gospel! I just got a fretless SX Jazz, and out of the box it was a mess...but with some Nordstrand pickups, dropping the nut slots, and setting it up, it honestly sounds as good as really most jazzes I've heard, which is a slew. The damn fingerboard needs Carey to level it to get rid of the buzzards, but after that, it should really get the job done!

4. They do not make a fretless version w/o lines do they. I was thnking of getting the one with the chrome covers and having it defretted. That would leave slightly visable lines which is acceptable, but white lines are an eyesore.

Does Rondo swap out necks amongst the essex models?