Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My new SX - sustain problem

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mulepods, Mar 16, 2006.

1. mulepods

mulepods Guest

Feb 20, 2006
    USA
    Here is a shot of my new SX Jazz w/maple neck next to my kid's short-scale SX Jazz. I think the bass looks awesome, and it's super comfortable to play. The only problem is the short-scale has more sustain than the full-scale. I don't get it. I'm getting about 13 seconds of sustain on the open E with the short-scale, but only about 9 seconds on the full-scale.

What should I check for that might be causing this? The first thing I did when I got the new bass is replace the stock bridge with a Gotoh and install new medium-gauge strings. The short-scale still has the stock bridge and factory light-gauge strings.

[​IMG]

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    You have the same strings on both basses? What're ya playin' double diamonds or something?

3. mulepods

mulepods Guest

Feb 20, 2006
    USA
    D'Addario medium strings on the full-scale. Factory installed crap strings on the short-scale, light gauge.

4. IotaNet

IotaNet Supporting Member

... Those are a couple of nice looking basses!

5. Bardolph

Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Try clamping something moderately heavy to the headstock and see if that does anything.

6. mulepods

mulepods Guest

Feb 20, 2006
    USA
    Well, I put the stock bridge back on and it seems to have improved somewhat. Strange.

Tomorrow I put new pickups in. Should be a decent bass after that.

Anybody want a barely used Gotoh bridge? :smug: