1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My new-to-me Christopher...good deal? (grin)

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by alteredpilot, Sep 19, 2008.

1. just picked this up last night...

2005 Christopher DB202T

ubb.

it was originally bought from Norton Customs. Its in showroom condition. not a mark on it. the guy bought it, played for 6 months and its just been sitting.

set up:
    Rev II
    Clef guts + euro wrapped gut E
    Custom bridge by kevin

Came with stand and bag, a set of wackers, a 2nd pick-up, nice tuner
    sound post setter.

picked it up for $700

got it home and thumped on it a bit. i'm a complete rank amateur but i am very well pleased with it none the less. i love the antique color option but i'm not very fond of the gloss. other than that, i'm super stoked...now to find a solid instructor...

2. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    Richmond, CA
    Should be good. I have a 300-series and it's a great student bass. Rumor is that Michael Moore plays on a 200 series like yours still and sold his pedigree bass.

That was a good $700 investment. The only thing to fear is that the later Christophers have been rumored to have build issues (seams popping, cracks, etc.). My 2003 bass has never had a single issue. *shrug* Yours will probably do fine if it's been a couple years already and nothing has happened.

3. Will Yager

Will Yager Supporting Member

May 7, 2006
    Iowa City, IA
    Yay new bass!!

4. Way To Go AP :D ! That seems like a Screamin' Deal to me. The accessories alone are worth at least half of what you paid. You mighta missed out on that '37 Kay you were asking about earlier ..... But like my Mama always said .... "Good things come to those who wait."

Congrats Again ! Now get busy and play that thing .... it will keep sounding better'n'better the more you play it as you learn the techniques and the bass loosens up. If the hi-gloss finish really bugs and blinds you ;) ..... You can satin it down some if you want to spend a lot of time rubbing instead of playing. Search on "degloss" ...... http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48655&highlight=degloss

P.S. Who is "kevin norton" (the guy who did the bridge)? Do you mean Brent Norton? Brent did some amazing work ..... I always admired what he did to snazz-up and set up his basses. IMO .... You are very fortunate to find one of Norton's worked-over basses ...... http://www.nortoncustoms.com/bass_gallery.htm . That ain't one of them Cheap Chinese Basses you got there Pal :D !

5. rick123

rick123

Oct 20, 2001
    Evanston, Wyoming
    I play a lesser model Christopher I bought from Brent Norton several years (non-custom but with some nice upgrades) and I love it as does the band and the festival sound-guys. Brent was a great guy to buy from and we stayed in touch for a while after he left the biz. Hope he's doing well. You got a steal on that one.

6. 'kevin norton'...
    bad copy and paste work... (edited)

i accidentally blended two pieces of copy...

no idea who kevin is...just the copy from the previous owners ad...mixed up...

i like it so far...i had a pretty fair confidence in the purchase going in (based on TB discussions, internet research, purchase price analysis and putting my mitts on the thing) and i was well pleased when i drove away.

first impressions... compared to everything i've played...

its certainly a different animal...

in almost 25 years of study and play i've yet to find an instrument that i felt so connected with. i like the physicality, and the organic nature of the thing... i'm just moving right into a comfort zone although i recognize a significant distance to go.

certainly looking forward to thumping the beans out of this thing!

i'm a custom painter so rubbing something into submission is just a walk in the park, but i'll probably wait until i have a substitute before i get busy...;)