Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My new (to me) EA VL-series cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tombowlus, Jun 25, 2003.

1. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Well, I have hi-jacked several other threads, so I figure that I may as well post a dedicated thread myself to share the joy of my "new" EA rig.

[​IMG]

I had been Jonesing over a pair of VL-208's for quite a while, and I found one on ebay, bid on it, but got beat out at the last minute. But then I saw a VL-210 on ebay at the same time (Hi Wes!) and bought it. So, since I had one VL-210, I thought I'd have Gard get me another (thanks again, Gard!).

Then whoever outbid me on the VL-208 backed out (word, Warren!), then I found a deal on another VL-208 from Bass Emporium, then another one on BassGear.com for a price that I couldn't pass up(hey, Philip!)... Definitely GAS out of control.

However, I am now kinda glad it worked out that way. Adding the third VL-208 was huge! Stepping up from two to three had a much greater impact than adding a second VL-208 (or VL-210 for that matter). I am not sure why the difference was so much more pronounced, but where two VL-208's will handle a B-string, but be a bit weak in the low end (at least compared to two VL-210's), three VL-208's have a truckload of booty! I can't push them as hard as I can the two VL-210's, but for lower volume settings, the three VL-208's have all the low end you would want and better midrange defintion than the two VL-210's.

That brings up one thing that I have found with the VL-210's. They don't really bring out the mids unless you are pushing them pretty hard. In fact, at low to medium volume settings, I actually prefer the sound of my "old rig" with a Mesa Boogie Diesel 4x10 and 212XLT (see below) to the two VL-210's by themselves.

[​IMG]

I haven't directly A/B'd the Boogie/Eden rig to the three VL-208's, but I'd guess that they are actually pretty similar at lower settings, with the EA's being predictably less colored. However, the VL-208's don't like to be slammed quite as hard as the VL-210's seem to NEED to be.

I also had a chance to A/B the EA cabs with my pair of Epifani's (T-110UL/T-112) - though I was using my Eden/QSC rig, not the Walkabout.

[​IMG]

The Epi's definitely have a sweeter top end and more full low end (when you adjust volume to comparable levels), while the EA's have more in-your-face mids. The EA's are rather unforgiving of technique (if you put your finger down on top of a fret, or nick a neighboring string, you will hear it!), whereas with the Epi's, you can get away with a little bit of slop (not much, mind you!). However, even though I consider the Epifani's to be very full-range and articulate, when you make a direct comparison to the VL cabs, it does make the Epi's sound a bit mid-scooped. Of course, it could just be that the EAs are mid-forward.

I should add that I think that adding 208's to the 210's is a big help, unless you are absolutely slamming the 210's. At anywhere near reasonable volume levels, the 208's really do contribute some nice midrange presence and all-around definition. Once you start pushing things really hard (with my PLX 3002, mind you!), the 208's start to lose their composure, while the 210's say "keep it coming!" Truly, the VL-210's just keep sounding better the harder you push them. At anywhere near this same volume level, my Boogie/Eden rig is starting to sound severly stressed, but the VL-210's maintain their focus and definition. I haven't tried pushing the Epifani's anywhere near that hard (yet!).

Any discussion of EA cabs would not be complete without offering some praise for the EXCELLENT service that John and everyone else at Euphonic Audio provide. Not only did they answer every question I had quickly and thoughtfully, he also sent me more badges and handle stickers so that all my "EA" badges looked the same. And guess what, when the factory refurb that Gard arranged for me arrived, John had thrown in another set of caster cups so that I could modify my other, used, VL-210 to have the more stable caster configuration! Very, very good folks, there.

I am a stickler for cab covers, so I had inquired about left over NOS EA covers. Lo and behold, they do exist, and let me say that these are some of the nicest padded cabinet covers I have seen. Crushed red velvet on the inside, roomy zippered pouch on the outside, thick padding, you name it.

So, that about sums it up. Tom is a happy camper, though now I really do seem to have more cabs than I know what to do with. At least I can set up one set of cabs at the various practice locations that I frequent (some more than others) and just carry my Walkabout & bass to practice.

There. I just had to let some of that excitement out. Exhale... Nice. :cool:

My apologies to all those other threads that I barged into...

Tom.

2. pitbill

pitbill

Mar 27, 2003
    Bluefield, WV
    Awesome rig Tom! Hey, is that the 208 cab that came from Phillip in Shelby, NC? If so, that was a killer deal! I almost bought it myself, but I didn't think it would match my CXL 210's efficiency that well. I completely agree about the EA covers, I've got one and can't say enough good things about it! Hard to believe a person could get that worked up over a cab cover, but you just really have to see 'em to believe it! Very functional. Enjoy that new sound!

3. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Yes, it is. Philip was quite friendly to deal with, and yes, the price was pretty much a no brainer!

I may have to post pictures of those covers. Yes, it may seem odd to get so worked up over a cab cover, but there's just something about that crushed red velvet interior...:p

Tom.

4. Tom, I thought I heard you playing the other day. I'm just in Northwest Indiana. It could happen.
    Nice stuff Bro. It's good to know I'm not the ONLY Hopeless-Out of Controll-Over the top-Droolin'- Gear Junkie in the Midwest. :D

5. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Maybe we should start a support group!

;)

Tom.

6. Yep, that's a good idea. Plan on bringing all the gear for show and tell.

7. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Not trying to fuel your GAS, but I get the impression that four VL-208s might be pretty awesome. [What's one more cab to a guy with his own music store ;) .]

8. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Why, are you selling one! :D ;)

Tom.

9. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    Damn that must be loud. I drove my pair of VL-210B cabs with a bridge QSC 2402 (Kern pre) and can't imagine needing any more than that!!!

I've downsized to a pair of VL-208 cabs now with an iAMP 800 head, nice rig and reasonably light and transportable.

10. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    How does that combination sound (details please)?

11. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Here's mine. 2 VL210s
    [​IMG]

12. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Rick:

When you play out, do you stack your 210's or sit them side by side, like in the picture?

Bob:

Did you ever get a chance to try three VL-208's? I was really amazed by the additional low end. I am sure that your Mini Rig sound fantastic!

Tom.

13. pitbill

pitbill

Mar 27, 2003
    Bluefield, WV
    You and your self dedicated thread gave me a terrible urge to...well...uhmm...buy my own vl 208 x 2 cab setup to go with my i-amp 800 head!! Gee thanks! You and your pics of the 'Ol Great Wall...Just kiddin'. I've been wanting some of those for a while now. Guess I'll be postin' my CXL 210 for sale soon (and I just bought that cover! LOL!)

(BTW: Got an e-mail from Gary at EA today, my replacement 800 head is being shipped tomorrow and will be the first one with the new mods and new colored knobs (black)! :D

14. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    It depends on the room and the size of the stage. If the room is boomy then I stack. If the stage is cramped, which most of the stages we play are then I stack. If the room needs more lows then they go side by side.

15. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Hey, you're just following the lead of our esteemed EA prophet, Bob Gollihur! ;)

Tom.

16. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    OK, EA inside the cover. Looks a little like a bordello.:D

[​IMG]

17. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Maybe now people will understand what we're talking about! Then again, they may be just be even more convinced that we have a strange infatuation with red velvet cab covers...

Tom.

18. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Oh, and there is another side. It's so thick that it does resist folding. It would be a chore to deal with two or three of these in a crowded place.

[​IMG]

19. pitbill

pitbill

Mar 27, 2003
    Bluefield, WV
    Of course you could stencil pictures of speakers on the back side of the covers and stack 'em up next to your cabs, sort of give the impression of a Godzilla sized rig! With the EA sound nobody would even think twice! :D

....well...maybe not!

I have wondered what Tom does with all of those covers at a gig?
    I just ordered two of those covers for my vl-208's today. John at EA said he had two left so I snatched 'em up.

20. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    They go back in the truck.

He'd better not be counting the third one that I am picking up! ;)

Tom.