Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My new (to me) Godin SD Pro

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Figjam, Jan 13, 2004.

1. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Well after 17 days of waiting, it finally came.

First, the negatives:

- Rusty screws around pickguard, but im gonna buy new ones.
    - 2 knobs are loose, but i know how to tighten them, but i cant find how to take the knob off to reach the screw thing. Should i just pull it off?

Positives:

After buying new strings (the ones it came with were SO dead) (I bought Warwick Stainless Steel ones)..

- The bass sounds SOO nice. It has such a nice tone, hard to describe. I can get a P sound or a Jazz sound out of it.
    - The neck is really nice. It is inbetween the thickness of a P and Jazz and it feels so perfect.
    -The slap tone is nice when i use mainly the jazz pickup.-
    -The string spacing is perfect for slapping
    -The bass balances very nicely.

Ill have pics up soon.

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    [​IMG] this is the ebay pic , but il have better pics soon.

3. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Beautiful bass man. Congratulations. I think you are really going to like this one. Which bass gets orphaned now? ;)

Dan

4. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Nice! maybe post a closer pic of the knobs, so someone could assist you in removing them. Be careful, I have ruined pots before doing it.

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    none. :p And yes. Close up pic in a sec.

[​IMG]

6. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    [​IMG]

7. wow, thats a very cool singlecut design. i never really payed much attention to godins, but they look awesome. hope you like it :)

8. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    [​IMG]

9. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    ..yea..
    [​IMG]

10. wingnutkj

wingnutkj

Mar 27, 2003
    Scotland
    I've got one just like yours! They're lovely instruments, and I really must put new strings on mine (and glue the inlay back into one of the knobs). I've had similar problems - rusty screws, shaky knobs (as it were), but that's just minor stuff - it's a cool bass!

The knobs should just pull off - they're on split-shaft pots. One trick I've used is to put a couple of centimetres long lengthways slit into an old bit of stripped out electrical cable, slip it over the knob so that it fits underneath, and pull up vertically (with a bit of grunting and joggling from side to side). It puts more strain on the knob and less on everything else, and the plastic is kinder that trying to use pliers or screwdrivers or whatever.

I ended up moving the top strap button from the edge of the body to the back, because it kept pulling out.

11. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I fixed the knobs easily by making a wrench out of sheetmetal and sliding it under the knobs and tightening them. I used a brass wire brush on the rusty screws and got 60% of it off, just a little remains in the middle of the screws. I am buying new screws for the pickguard because they are normal sizes and the ones for the pickups arent rusty really so they are fine.

Yay.

12. BaByBlUeBaSs05

BaByBlUeBaSs05 Guest

Jan 13, 2004
    Cali-USA

THAT IS SUCH AN AWESOME BASS!!!(I like your hair ;)) But I love the blue,its dark,but its niice.Congratulations!! Did you have to by it yourself??

13. I never heard of a Godin

14. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    i have always loved the way this bass looks. and i love fender style PJ basses. too bad here in italy these are not so common...

15. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Yes , normal people buy their own basses. :rolleyes:

And Osama go to www.godinguitars.com

16. Yup, after seeing the pics, this is in fact a Godin SD bass -- minus the "Pro". The SD Pro had Duncan active electronics.

Even though this model has a battery compartment, you should need no battery, unless the previous user installed a preamp.

About the knobs: Don't they have a small set screw on the side?

17. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Yes i realized it is not a Pro but can i edit the thread title?

-I fixed the knobs...but no they dont.