my new (to me) ibanez 5 string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Matt H, Sep 27, 2005.

1. Matt H

Matt H

Jul 30, 2005
    Ithaca, NY
    The story: saw this bass on ebay, bid (not a ton) because I couldn't find much info on the particular model. I lost the auction. The winner of the auction paid the seller, then had some unexpected financial problems. I don't wish problems on anyone, but I'm kind of glad... hehe I then got a second-chance offer on it (a legit one through ebay). I contacted the seller (and the original buyer) just to see what was up. The stories all checked. (i got seriously burned the last ebay purchase I made, so i was really paranoid).

Anyway, the bass showed up yesterday. It's gorgeous!!!

It's a 1998 Ibanez SR1015. As far as I can tell, it's the model that they discontinued and then released a korean made version with the same features (currently, the SR505 with the oil finish).

It's got a gorgeous mahogany body. A 5 piece wenge/bubinga neck. Active pickups (vol, blend, treb, bass, mid, mid sweep).

When I got the bass, I looked on the back of the headstock... made in japan.. SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!!!! The seller didn't mention this in the auction, and I didn't find that listed anywhere on the web (info about this model is so scant).

The thing plays like a dream. Sure, there are some little indentation and stuff (mainly on the back)... but with a thin oil finish on a soft wood like mahogany, that's to be expected.

Also, this is unrelated to the bass, but the seller charged me the actual shipping costs and was upfront about it. It really restored my faith in ebay not being jerked around by anyone.

I'll try to get some new pics, but I don't have a digital camera. Here's the pic from the auction (hopefully this works)

2. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    Wow. The stripes on the mahagony are really prominent. Why is it good that its made in Japan? Is it better build quality? How much did you pay for it?

I have an Ibanez (edb600) which I dont like too much, so its sort of tainted my view on Ibanez basses, but I know its not founded. I think that your bass looks really great, and probably sounds really great, too! Have fun.
  3. Matt H

Matt H

Jul 30, 2005
    Ithaca, NY
    thanks for the well-wishing. :)

anyway, the construction on the upper level japanese ibanez has always been a little nicer than the upper level korean stuff. At least, i always found this with lead guitars, i'm still new to the bass world, so i may be wrong.

I got it for 340 with hardshell case, case candy, plus actual shipping (which wasn't much). Which, as far as I can tell, is a real STEAL.

it does sound really good. I think i need a new battery, because the output is a little low (i'm not used to active electronics either)... but that being said, the preamp is certainly flexible. I can get some nice growl from it when i favor the bridge pickup and boost the low mids. Not quite like the MIM Jazz, but pretty close.

I'm thinking i might eventually try it out tuning it high, rather than low (EADGB), but that's several months down the road.
  4. Matt H

Matt H

Jul 30, 2005
    Ithaca, NY
    *proud new bass-daddy bump*
  5. A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    That's a good looking bass there, and at $340, a great price for one too. I've seen a few of the older Ibanezes with the less well known model numbers go quite cheaply on US ebay. I reckon it's simply because people don't know what they are.

Glad you like yours. Enjoy.
  6. Matt H

Matt H

Jul 30, 2005
    Ithaca, NY
    thanks for hte kind words! she is a beaut.

yeah, I really don't understand how this one went so cheap. the only criticism i have is that the output seems low, but i think it might just need a new battery.

i guess it is because of the lesser-known model number.

ok- back to playing. hehehe
  7. That's a sweet lookin bass!! I've got 2 Ibanez' and I think they're great. Lots of great tones, nice playability and their EQ section is surprisingly powerful.

Looks like you got an awesome deal for that!
  8. Jerry Ziarko

Jerry Ziarko Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    That is a great looking bass at a great price. I owned a SR1205 for years. I was never crazy about the stock pre-amp and pickups, so I swapped it all out for an EMG pre and pups. I sold it a month ago but returned it to stock before doing so. I think it will serve you well for years to come. Also try raising the pickup height to increase output. It should help a bunch!
  9. Matt H

Matt H

Jul 30, 2005
    Ithaca, NY
    i'll give raising the pups a shot... it makes sense that'd help (i mean, i do it on all my other instruments! hahah)

one great side effect of this bass- it's taken the fear of 5+ string basses away. i feel i could easily play the average 6 string now (i've got small hands and have been afraid). granted i can't do huge stretchs between frets, but the width isn't a problem.
  10. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    I just bought a BTB 5 string on ebay, can't wait for it to arrive. :hyper:

I've never had the chance to play a Soundgear, but if it's anything like the BTB, I'm sure it's great.
  11. Matt H

Matt H

Jul 30, 2005
    Ithaca, NY
    hmm, it appears i can't raise the pickups much... bummer!
  12. tim99

tim99 Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2003
    Get some longer screws and use some mouse pad foam under the pickups...
  13. Jerry Ziarko

Jerry Ziarko Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Tim99 is right on the money with his suggestion!