My New to me MTD 535-24

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Peter Parker, Apr 8, 2005.

1. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
    I got this bass today on trade. It's an MTD 535-24 with avidore body, maple burl top, and a rosewood fingerboard. I've hated every MTD I've ever played accept for two. The first one I liked I played several years ago and had a tulip wood body, wenge neck. The one I got today is the only other I've played that I really like. I don't know how long I'll keep it, (probably not long) but it is one of the better basses I've ever owned. Huge sound and great playability. But don't be suprised to see it for sale soon. I'm going to at least play a couple gigs with it for fun but I'm still more of a Fender guy.
  2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    WOW!!! That's beautiful!!!!
  3. The bass is beautiful!!!:hyper:
    That's exactly the kind of MTD I want: 535-24.
  4. LeonD

LeonD Supporting Member

Don't sell that bass too fast. I've had a 635 for a month now. I've been wooksheding with it and have it set up for a clear, articulate tone. Well, I was asked to play out this Saturday and I've decided to use the 635. The only thing is I need a big, warm sound.

So I started turning knobs and switches and after messing around for a while, I found the sound I needed. It wasn't there right away but it was in there. And it wasn't the EQ setting I originally thought I needed. My point here is to give the bass some time. Play around with the EQ on it and try some setting that you wouldn't normaly try.

If it's easy to play and sounds good why get rid of it? It looks great and you know it's a quality instrument.

5. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
    I've owned tons of quality instruments. My ideal tone can only be found in a Fender. I've owned Fodera's, F Basses, Zon's, Conklins, Modulus, Lakland, Elrick, Alembic, Ken Smith, etc. All quality basses but when compared on stage in a mix none can do what a Fender can. Most high end basses just sound too pretty for me. This MTD is an exceptional bass but it won't get played. I took my Fodera and Fender to a gig the other night, during the soundcheck of the first couple songs I used the Fodera and it sounded really good. I intended to play only the Fodera that night but I decided on the last soundcheck song to go ahead and dial in the Fender. After two notes everyone in the band and a few people in the club turned and commented on how much more full the band sounded. I sold the Fodera today. I love the high end basses but I'm glad that I can get the tone that makes me want to play for a lot less money ;)
  6. Do you use vintage Fender or recent model? I am just curios.. :)
  7. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
    My current favorite is 2005 Am. Deluxe Jazz 5. It's just a stock 3 tone sunburst, alder body, maple fingerboard. It has an unbelievable growl and is very fat. The playability is excellent. I have a Custom Shop Jazz 5 on order as well. I must say again that this MTD is a really nice bass that sounds great.
  8. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

9. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    so you like it, or you dont? i'm a little unsure about your feelings for it.

and with all the cool small shop fender replicas being made, surprised you dont have one in your arsenal.
  10. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    hey, i gotta give it up to that Fender tone as well. You know that, Scott. I mean, the F bass is still tops in my book, but the Fenders are PHAT! did a poolside gig yesterday where i would not dare expose my F to the elements, the cheap used Fender ( american deluxe ) was killin!
    we'll talk monday, Spidey!
  11. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I have to second the last post. Since you know Fender is your sound and like high basses, why not a Custom Shop Fender or bass from Fender style boutique maker like Sadowsky, Lull, Celinder, or Lakland? If you want to spend boutique money, put it where you will really be satisfied. :bassist:
  12. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    may i?
    i believe he said he has a custom shop Fender in the works.
    the second part, i can only answer on my behalf-
    while the Fender style boutique basses are very nice, i have owned Lakland, Lull, Sadowsky and Celinder- something about it being a Fender, and those other basses look like, but do not sound like a Fender, the closest was the Celinder, but damn... you can get 4 fenders for that much, and that adds to the beauty of the whole thing... it is still affordable. I'm sorry, i know there are many devoted followers, but $3600 for a jazz style bass.... out of my league.
  13. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
    What Adrian said.

I did put my money where I am really satisfied. I've owned or played all the basses you listed and they were nice. But they still didn't get the real fender tone like the Fender's do. They had similar tones but still lacking. I understand that there may be some Fender basses out there that are less than perfect but mine has perfect fretwork, perfect finish, and plays great. What more could I want?
  14. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
    I do like the bass a lot but it's just not a tone I would use very often. The tone I go for is Jaco's tone only fretted. The only basses I've played that get that tone is an alder body Fender. Sadowsky basses sound good but are a little too clean and are missing something. Lull basses, well let's just say they're missing a lot.
  15. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    I don't really understand, if you found your perfect bass, then why are you still buying expensive basses you don't like and sell shortly thereafter? :p
  16. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
    I didn't buy it. I traded another bass for it with the intention of moving it right away. The thought was, the person who had this bass really wanted the bass I got rid of. He offered me a nice sum of money and this bass and I figured I could sell this bass just as easy as I could have sold the other one especially since it's less expensive. I didn't bank on this MTD sounding and playing as good as it does. Like I've said, I haven't liked most MTD's so this was a nice surprize. I may keep it for a little while but I am definitely going to sell it.
  17. JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    Nice MTD.

There's always the Sadowsky with single coil pup option.
    I went one step further and installed Fender CS 60's in this one.

100% Fender in passive mode--Fender killer in active. ;)

Attached Files:

18. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    My student that I had here this morning has a Fender Squire P bass that cost around $140 or so. It is easily one of the best basses I've played, no joke. With a fret job and a new nut it would beat any P bass out there. The neck is flamed through out which is really nice. The thing is that the bass resonates like you wish every bass would. It's an absolute joy to play. Too bad he won't sell it. ;)
  19. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine

I will say I love my MTD enough that I don't plan on ever selling it, and yes, I do gig with it... even in the smaller anywheresville USA bars. I bought it to use it. However, it's not always all about the boutique stuff.

I just did a studio gig this past Monday, and it was all about the Fender J. I also had an awesome Lakland 55-02 and a Peavey Cirrus with me... both basses I love and have very happily gigged with and had great results. Both very diverse and practical basses.

However... they both stayed in the Dub bag. It was a Blues/Rock session, so I started with a 4 string Fender J (I always carry a Fender to a studio gig... lessons learned)... never looked back. The studio engineer was drooling over the tone. Put me thru a tube preamp, compressor, done. Little/no EQ. Admittedly, it was a Geddy Lee, and I think I'm lucky enought to have one of the best of those, but still... the reason for it's buttery goodness is because it has a very classic Fender J tone (a'la 70's).

Oh, and it wasn't 'cause it was one of those studio dudes who just doesn't know how or want to dial in anything but a Fender, either. This guy woulda' laid down whatever I played and done a good job at it.

Gimme some love for the Fenders... still the standard by which others are judged...
  20. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

My MTD 535 is the lightest fiver I've owned, and the playability is amazing, especially the asymmetrical neck profile. The bart electronics are also very sweet... I love the 3-band pre with switchable midrange. But as much as I dig that bass, I'm coming to the conclusion that I'm a Fender kinda guy myself... that would of course include Sadowsky. :)