Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My New (to me) Spector NS-JH5! (Big Pics)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lockout, Feb 26, 2005.

1. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Bought this bass for $1255 on eBay last week. It arrived on Friday, but I wanted to wait until I had some pictures before making a thread about it.

It's an NS-JH5CM with maple body/neck, pau ferro fretboard, Hipshot Style-A bridge, Gotoh tuners, EMG pickups and Spector TonePump preamp.

Here are the pictures! :hyper:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I love the tone I'm getting out of this thing... It has that characteristic Spector growl, and an amazing slap tone. The fingerstyle tone is a bit bright yet, but it's probably due to the newer strings. Once they get nice and dead I think it'll sound perfect. :cool:

2. Nice acquisation! Congrats.

3. Can you get the jaco growl with the bridge pickup?

4. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    I'd say it can do the jaco growl pretty well... Maybe not exactly, but certainly good enough for me. ;)

5. BassFiddle63

BassFiddle63

Oct 4, 2002
    Oklahoma
    Lookin' cool there! I dig those pups. Congrats! ;)

6. Timbo

Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
  7. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Thanks for the comments, guys. :)

Now I have a quick question. How are the Spector gig bags? Are they as good as any other gigbag in their price range? I'm not really looking for anything special, just something with a pocket and enough cushioning to keep the bass nice and secure. Is $50 a good price for one?

8. 4string4ever

4string4ever Guest

Apr 18, 2004
    Orlando, Florida
    What year model is it? Does this bass have a dent in the edge of the fretboard on the B side, right around the 5th fret?

9. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    It's #138, from 2/24/03. No dents at the fifth fret that I can see. Why do you ask? :)

10. 4string4ever

4string4ever Guest

Apr 18, 2004
    Orlando, Florida
    looks just like one I used to own...mine was from '02 though.

11. dooft11

dooft11 Supporting Member

Dec 30, 2003
    HongKong
    So nice
    i have been watching on this one as well, but the shipping to hongkong will kill.. nice bass

12. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Thanks!

Got a shot of it with my Lull and my Aggie rig:

[​IMG]

Someone needs to take this camera away from me. :D

13. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Can any of you Spector-owners answer this?

14. cetera

cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    Lovely bass! Congrats! :) :bassist:

15. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    Nice snag!

How do you like that TW at the bridge? I'm looking for one for my fretless NS2000Q5 as well...

...and sorry, I use Warwick Rockbags, I don't know anything about Spector gig bags...

16. jivetkr

jivetkr

May 15, 2002
    NJ
    for a bass that nice, get an incase gig bag. you wont regret it.

17. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    I really like it... The single-coil mode is nice and smooth, and seems to sound good for jazz, etc. Popping it into dual coil mode boosts its output and gives it a bit more of a growl, which I think sounds good for funk and rock. It gives the bass some extra versatility. :)
    The Incase bags do look very cool, but they're expensive and seem to have quite a few features and accessories that I really don't need... All I really need is something simple that provides enough padding to keep the bass secure. The Incase "Slim Bag" does look closer to what I want than the "Tour Bag", but it's still $150, and I don't know if I can justify that on a gig bag. *shrug*

18. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    The bag is top notch. It is hard to fold it that's how thick it is.