1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My New(to me) Zon Sonus Special

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by turnuptheBASS, Apr 19, 2006.

1. turnuptheBASS

turnuptheBASS

Jan 30, 2005
    So. CA.
    I just picked up a Zon Sonus Special from the For Sale ads two days ago from Pickles. Drove a total of about 3 hours there and back...it was a loong day. Got home and opened it up and BAM! I am in love! I always wanted a bass with a graphite neck (Zon, Modulus) I was actually leaning towards a Flea 5 but this came up and I am sure glad it did. Anyhow I am sure some people on the TB know about this one..it seems like its been around, has lots(lots) of finish cracks and part of the ramp on the neck is peeling. All those things aside, it plays beautifully. None of those things affect the tone. Since I am planning to keep it, do you Zon players or anyone else out there think I should refinish it? I called Zon and they gave me a price for the body and neck . They said it should take about 3 weeks. Has anyone else done this before?(thru Zon?) I am just curious......

Seriously though....I LOVE THIS BASS, I cant put it down:bassist:

2. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Hey will ... I'm glad you like the bass :D I knew you would.

I really dig the Acme so far ... need to get it out on a gig.

I personally would not have gone for the refin unless the peeling started to get worse, but I can understand the temptation of having a zon-pimped like-new bass!

3. turnuptheBASS

turnuptheBASS

Jan 30, 2005
    So. CA.

Exactly! ITS TOO TEMPTING, I still cant believe I have this bass. Its so freakin sweet.
    I am glad that you are enjoying the acme.:p

4. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    Depends on if the wood is in danger. If not, then it's just a cosmetic decision and you can judge based on whatever cost they shot you. If so, I'd strongly urge you to find the money somehow and protect this beauty.

If it was me, even if it was purely a cosmetic decision, I'd definitely find a way to do it. These basses are totally worth it. My SS is a fretless, so it doesn't get as much love as my fretted Sonus (not "Special"), but I have NO plans to ever sell either.

Also, I've played the Fleas, and they're cool, but IMHO, you totally made the right choice. These growl just as well, but can be a lot more natural, fuller, and warmer.