Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My New Toon...mp3 here...

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by pd_5string, Aug 28, 2002.

1. pd_5string

pd_5string Admin: Accnt Disabled

Jan 23, 2002
    NY
    http://www.peterduncan.net/Invasion_of_65.mp3

What do you guys think?

(for those that don't know, all instruments except drums and that little whoosh thing in the intro are bass guitar)...

Newsflash! The Fender Jazz made it into this one (entire solo section, main bass line in chorus, and those slap arpeggios in the second verse)...

Enjoy :)

2. Cool!
    love the slap thing in the middle!

3. too many effects sounds kinda cluttered but nice chops man, keep up the good work.

4. Lipis Roman

Lipis Roman

Mar 5, 2002
    USA
    Very cool!

Nice playing man.

5. pd_5string

Jan 23, 2002
    NY
    Good suggestion about effects...I went back and took a listen, and killed some of the delay effect...as far as the sounds I chose, things have to be different enough to discern the parts, and I wanted in this song to be kind of synthy/techno, without the 4 on the floor vibe I am getting really sick of nowadays (love the Korg Pandora PX3B)...

Solo section was redone for more umph, and final outro was revised...give it another listen...I think I will stop here...

http://www.peterduncan.net/Invasion_of_65.mp3

6. PJR

PJR

Jun 20, 2001
    N.E. PA
    I like it Peter !!! :)

Sounds great.

PJR

7. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Outstanding!!!

I love the melody and structure, and I agree with you that the effects are needed to allow each part to settle into its place.

Both your composition and musicianship are excellent.

It's isn't my nature to not find at least something to be critical of, so I would add that it is a bit long. I think you could easily cut 45 seconds out of it and it would have better flow and create more tension between elements.

Chas

8. pd_5string

Jan 23, 2002
    NY
    Thanks man!

More than the "chops" I appreciate the composition/songsmanship comments...this is harder to accomplish, especially by yourself without human feedback during the "process." It takes me longer to arrange this type of music than to actually write/perform/record the basslines (although that tapping part was a TOTAL bitch, as I was never into the tapping/Sheehan style of playing...I generally do it b/c I hear a part in my head, and use the technique to get me there)

Thanks again!

9. Pd,, That is great. I really like it..I'v listen to it 8 times now. It's was kind of like a sweet bass orgy!!!!! Very pleasing to the ears. The length was just right...I thank God it wasn't a 12 minute masturbatorial monstrosity residue, that I'd have to scrape off my hard drive..Thank you very much!...

10. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    I seriously want a cd of yours!
    :)

also: you mean TUNE instead of TOON (Cartoon)

11. pd_5string

Jan 23, 2002
    NY
    Funny you should say that...

There seems to be two extremes of solo bassists

-Those that make you go WOW! How'd he do that?
    (Wooten's first CD Show of Hands)

-Those that make you whistle, and bob your head
    (Wootens Yin and Yang)

I try to ride between both of these. I like to use the "advanced techniques" but only when they serve a purpose other than to use them for their own sake.

This is what I like so much about Manring. He uses all sorts of techniques, but you don't know he is doing it b/c he is so compositional.

12. pd_5string .. I had another listen this morning. That groove you got going there is better than coffee, I was dancing around in my undies. :D Oh yea Baby! bump bump sa-mack!! Do you have any more tunes to share with us? Thanks pd

Fetch!

13. Johnalex

Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    Great Song!, I really like it. Good work. What did you record it with?

14. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    this belongs in recordings, so off it goes...

15. PICK

PICK

Jan 27, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Thats the most complex, layered track i have heard you play. I now have 5 of your solo songs downloaded. All very good tracks. I usually dont like "EFFECT"ed bass but i found this quite listenable.

16. Barfly

Barfly

Dec 27, 2000
    GTA, Canada
    That is friggin' cool, man. Sheesh, I've been palying for 20 years and couldn't do that if I tried.

Reminds me of Gary Neuman ala Geddy Lee. What is that recorded on? Thats a full band, right?

:cool:

17. pd_5string

Jan 23, 2002
    NY
    I wrote this song called "Moment" Which blows this away with layering and to me is more musical, with no effects. I am about to finish up things, and I am going to make the collection of all the songs I did available as 160 kpbs mp3's available for 12 bucks through pay pal. If anyone is interested, send me an email to paduncan@optonline.com.

18. pd_5string

Jan 23, 2002
    NY
    Thanks!

No, it is all done in the computer. I programmed the drum track to be as much as human like as possible without a lot of extra flash. All other tracks were done on bass guitar, one 5 string Zon, and one Fender Jazz Bass FMT. So, essentially, from cradle to grave, including mastering, I did everything.

The bass lines were recorded thru my Eden WT400+ (I also used the Pandora PX3B for the effects) into a Mackie 1605VLZ, then into an Echo Layla 24, which then goes into the PC. I use Sound Forge Acid to arrange, and mix down the tracks.

I have about 8 more songs available if you are interested. I decided to release the album via internet, and charge 12 bucks for the entire mp3 collection, encoded at 160kpbs, which is CD quality.
    paduncan@optonline.net