My new toy: Fender '51 Precision RI

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jazzmonkey, Sep 25, 2010.

1. jazzmonkey

jazzmonkey

Mar 7, 2010
    N.VA
    Check it out! I picked this up in a trade this week and I am really diggin’ it. The custom ebanol thumb-rest really completes the look IMHO.

MIJ sweetness, S + six digits dates this ’94-’95. It’s in great shape for the age, the worst bumps are the classic back of the neck turnaround style bumps, but could be removed with the ‘ole iron & towel trick, I think. They’re very insignificant nonetheless, you can’t even see them in the pics. It also has the “signature” neck pocket finish hairline crack.

BA III was already on there. I’m thinking about putting the original back on to complement the look despite the likely trouble I’ll have setting intonation.

The noise of this thing was killing me though, so today I spent some time shielding this baby. I turned out really nice, and now it’s nearly dead silent, and I can enjoy the sound so much more. I had to get right next to the cab to hear the 60 cycle hum, and no more buzz when I stop touching the strings. The ultimate test is my rehearsal space though, but I’m confident it will be good.

I read about rolling the foil tape into a tube for the insides of the wire tunnels, and I wanted an easier way than fussing with the tubes, so I just wrapped the wires and I think it will work just as well. I didn’t think of it until after I put foil in the teeny tiny body cavity, I’m thinking I could have avoided that altogether with the wraps. I’m thinking this will be my standard practice from now on. Anyone else wrapped their wires like this?

Anyway, hope you enjoy the pics.

Fender-51-RI.gif Fender-51-RI-01.gif Fender-51-RI-02.gif th_Fender-51-RI-03.gif th_Fender-51-RI-04.gif th_Fender-51-RI-05.gif th_Fender-51-RI-06.gif th_Fender-51-RI-07.gif th_Fender-51-RI-08.gif th_pup-cavity-00.gif th_PUP-cavity-01.gif th_control-cavity-00.gif th_jack-cavity.gif th_body-cavity-00.gif th_body-cavity-01.gif th_wire-wrap-00.gif th_wire-wrap-01.gif

2. Very sweet. Stock pickup?

3. slotrod65

slotrod65

Dec 29, 2009
    Super Sweet! I picked up a Squier CV 50's P-bass today, and have already been considering shielding it. What did you use?

BTW: I sure wish mine was Black-n-Blonde instead of blue, but I guess that I cannot complain.

Phredster

4. jazzmonkey

jazzmonkey

Mar 7, 2010
    N.VA
    Yep, everything stock except for bridge and strings.

I used the aluminum tape for shielding. I have to say that I’m totally converted to aluminum now, so much cheaper, and just as easy to work with, just overlap layers and poke through with a multimeter probe or safety pin a coupla times and you’re connected.

The one time I ordered copper tape I got enough for one jazz bass. Pricewise I can get about 2 basses with the copper or bass after bass after bass with the aluminum roll from Lowe’s. I can think of no reason to look back.

5. jazzmonkey

jazzmonkey

Mar 7, 2010
    N.VA
    slotrod, I read about your sweet deal on that CV. Better than CL!

6. harmendebresser

harmendebresser

Mar 11, 2010
    the Netherlands
    Endorsing Artist: Höfner, Pyramid Strings, Dr. No FX & Asterope cables
    Anyone happen to know if an ashtray would cover the BadAss III bridge? I live in Europe, can't seem to pick up that bridge in the shops over here to fit it (mostly there's BA II's, and some BA V's) but I'm keen on ordering one if I know the ashtray would cover it... Otherwise, I'll stick with the stock bridge - and yes Jazzmonkey... deal with the slight off-broadway intonation ;)

7. GreaserMatt

GreaserMatt

Sep 4, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I love those basses...

8. king_biscuit

king_biscuit

May 21, 2006
    US
    Nice bass! I have a Sting model and a CV50. I don't think the iron out trick works on a finished neck, btw.

9. So sexy!

10. Many complain about this ..... I've never had a problem.

11. Love the "original" P's, I guess the modern day P bass was suppose to be an improvement , but I see it as a variation. These sound great.

12. cewillm

cewillm #1 Adam Clayton fan

Jan 25, 2010
    Glenville, NY
    Hey! Looks great!

I never really cared for the old Precision design until I stumbled into a Guitar Center last month, looking for some strings. Your bass' cousin, another '51 P RI built in 1994 or 1995, was hanging on the wall. I fell in love! :bassist:

I paid $600 for the bass, which has the Basslines pickup. I like that a lot since it doesn't hum at all. Mine has no scratches or bumps anywhere. Heaven!

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 25, 2021