Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My new toy - G&L SB2

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sanctum, Apr 11, 2002.

1. Minor GAS attack, but no cash laid out on the new toy, just got rid of some old gear in trade. This is my first G&L and I must say, it is one of the nicest sounding basses I have ever owned. When does the GAS end???

edit: oh yea, it is a 1989 (Leo era) - well my trusted guitar store guy told me this, but i'm wondering if anyone knows how to find out exactly via the serial number?

This is the one I plan to refinish the body this summer, in my other thread here: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=44522

Greg

2. another pic

3. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    Man gotta love the SB-2. Very nice bass. I was tempted to buy one earlier this year, but the guy wanted way too much for it.. oh well

4. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    GAS only ends when you have at least (one) of every item on the market-and since that doesn't
    happen; it never ends.

Your G&L will take the edge of for awhile, though.
    Congrats-Nice bass!

5. td1368

td1368

Jan 9, 2001
    Philadelphia
    Nice bass. G&L's seem like real workhorses. I've always jonesed for a old L-1500 though.

6. I had one of those a longgggg time ago (1986 I think). With that headstock shape it is definitely older that an 89. I believe that particular version of the SB-2 was only produced between 82 and 84. Nice bass!

7. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    Nice bass, congrats. As far as the serial #, I once called G&L with a serial # for information. I gave them only the number, and based on that, they rep was able to give me all the details over the phone.

Everything he told me checked out once I got the bass, I guess it just depends on two things:

1) How far back their active serial archive stretches

and

2) How helpful a person you get on the phone

Also, there is a G&L discussion board on the web somewhere, but I forget the name of it. They have some people there that may be of help in dating the bass.

8. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

http://www.guitarsbyleo.com

Now owned by G&L. Take a look at the registry and you'll get a ballpark idea on the age of your SB-2. The 2-J pickup SB-2s were only built from '82-'84 so it may be even older than '89. The Lynx (another dual-J pickup G&L was built from '84-'91). My info is from the G&LDP faq.

I'm partial to the second generation SB-2s with the P-J config (I've got two of those).

9. Thanks a lot for that link. Seems this is an '83, judging from serial numbers close to mine, and G&L's site own serial number chart for that year. Cool!

greg

10. By strange coincidence, I dug my SB-2 out the other day and threw some new strings on. I hadn't been playing it much lately since I had flats on it for the past year or so. I do like the flats but I only use them for certain situations, consequently the bass wasn't getting played much of late.

So I chucked on a new set of the coated D'Addarios and took it to a rehearsal and WOW! What a great bass! I think I can honestly say it's my favourite bass ever. I'd say my L-2000 is more versatile but the two tones I use on my SB-2 are just fantastic!

Good luck with yours. :)

11. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I had a chance to try one of these out this weekend. It was a beautiful bass. It played and sounded great, but it had one MAJOR flaw: the fretwork was horrible! When running my hand up and down the neck, every fret scraped against my hand. Ouch.:( It almost seemed to me that there must have been some fretboard shrinkage, because I can't imagine G&L, who I have heard many people here praise, letting a bass go in that condition. The store owner told me that the bass had been hanging on his wall for about a year and a half, and only a few people had even played it. But he was still firm (even after I pointed out the fret issues) on his $1200 price w/case. And the thing was so dusty, I had to go wash my hands after I played it.

Needless to say I didn't buy it.:rolleyes: I would, however, seriously consider buying one of these in the future. Very nice basses.

12. $1200 (I assume US dollars) is pretty high for an SB-2.

I paid $975 Canadian which is (sadly) closer to $600 USD these days for a superb SB-2. Mind you, it too had been lying around for a few years in the shop and they were a bit anxious to see it go.

I did scratch my head at the fact that this fantastic bass was just sitting there virtually ignored for years. I finally broke down and bought it myself because I knew what a great instrument it was. I've never looked back. I don't even own a "Fender" brand bass anymore.

13. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Yeah, I meant $1200 US. I KNEW that was way high. I assume he is trying to get list price out of it. After checking with Bass NW, I found I could pick up a new L-2000 or a new L-2500 for under that amount.

I played an American Hot-Rod P-Bass later that day at a different music store (same pup configuration). Fret issues overlooked, I thought that the G&L SB-2 was a better bass, IMHO. I thought it sounded a little better, and just had an overall better feel to it. And aside from the fret/fretboard issue, it seemed to have flawless fit and finish, whereas the Fender had a couple of noticeable finish flaws, etc. I was impressed with the G&L.

14. supergreg

supergreg

Jan 20, 2002
    Oooooooooo she's a looker.

15. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Me Too.... Me Too...

I got bit by the G&L bug too

[​IMG]

:D
    :cool:
    :D

scored this for 560 USD shipping included

I've got it on lay-a-way and will receive it the end of May

I'd love a maple board L 2000 or SB 2 fretted as a mate...
    yours looks sharp

James

16. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I got my G&L L-2500 right next to me.:)

(leaves computer to get bass)

Ah thats better!:D

Nick

17. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

I've picked up both of mine used for ~$435 each (shipped). But even a brand new one wouldn't run double that if you shop in the right places. There are several online dealers who will sell them for a good deal and provide good service.

As far as the fret ends go - my second one, which I got from a music shop via ebay used, had fret ends that stuck out quite a bit. I live in a very humid area of the US (Houston, TX) and the fingerboard has swelled back out to where they don't protrude much at all. I can still notice it if I run my fingers up and down the edges of the fingerboard but I don't feel it at all when playing so I'm leaving it be for the time being. I've not had the same problem on the other G&Ls I've had (7 others to date) so I put it down to the individual bass and how it ages.