Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My new 'toy' (parametric EQ)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by White_Knight, Dec 17, 2002.

1. White_Knight

White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    USA
    Yep, I finally decided that the mic idea wasn't going to do it for me. I ended up borrowing an AKG (model escapes me right now) and it sounded ok, but we ended up getting some feedback from the stage monitors through it and I just ended up going direct.

But, I think I've now solved my delima. I just got in my Behringer PEQ-2200, 5 band fully parametric EQ. Wow, the sound sculpting that this thing can do is amazing. Alrighty, here's what I'm using this for, and I'm looking for any suggestions or if anyone else has thought of this...

I'm mainly playing through an SWR WM10 - great amp overall, but it doesn't have enough bass for me (with the EQ flat, or even moderately boosted) and has way too much treble (I often fully cut the treble). So, what I'm doing here is I run from my bass, to the EQ, then straight into my WM10. The EQ has two outputs (1/4" and XLR) so I can run a line to my amp and a line to the mixer. The tone I want goes to both, and it's not too radical overall so the sound guy is happy.

What I do is have it setup so that each band of my five band EQ does something different in terms of overall tone. For example, my first band I have set for a low boost (about +4-5db around 40Hz, with a fairly narrow Q) that can be switched on or off depending upon the room/song/etc. The next band is the almost mandatory low-mid boost (around +5-6db at 160Hz with a moderately wide Q). Then I have two bands of high frequency (one with my good old high frequency cut - no string noise or twang at all and one with a very slight treble boost just under my cut for some clarity and 'air'). Ok, so basically I can add or subtract any of my EQ settings here with just the flick of a switch, combine them any way I want, etc.

Any ideas what I should use my last band of EQ for? Granted, no reason to use it just because it's there, but I'm just curious about what other people do. I read quite a few of the old posts on how people EQ, but I'm just curious about those who mainly do slight and subtle EQing - EQing for a less than perfect room, EQing to help get a desired sound (in my case, getting close to a standup bass sound at times, then being able to push a few switches and get a slap sound, and so forth). Just curious.

2. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Interesting. I have a tc electronics 1140 4-band preamp, and typically use just 3 bands: one to boost/cut lows (40 to 120 Hz) to compensate for room acoustics, another for low-mid growl (vicinity of 250Hz), and the third is for bite (2k-5kHz). Every once in awhile I'll boost/cut some midrange bark (depending on the bass) but usually it's flat.

3. I would make a deep (-15dB), narrow (high Q) cut at around 400-600 Hz. Adds depth to the sound. I always cut something in the 400-600 range.

4. White_Knight

White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    USA
    Now that's an interesting idea - I've never really thought of messing with that frequency range before. I'll have to try that out.

By the way, I have to add that I'm pretty impressed with this unit so far. It's very quiet - not dead quiet as I would have preferred - but it's less noisy than my WM10 and maybe just slightly noiser than my BX-100, so I'm pretty happy. Actually, as I looked up specs on it, I compared it to some more expensive units and it had a better signal to noise ratio than a Rane unit that I was looking at, as well as pretty similar specs overall. Seems to be well constructed too, which was something I wasn't sure would happen in this price range.

5. White_Knight

White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    USA
    Here's a question for you all concerning Q: my EQ can have a Q anywhere from 0.03 to 2.5. Anyway, my question then is I see that most graphic EQ's are 1/3 octave, so would that equal a 0.33 Q? Just curious.

6. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I can't answer your Q question, however I will recommend extreme caution when using a narrow Q (fraction of an octave) within the range of fundamentals on the bass (up to roughly 350Hz). Too much narrow Q cut/boost in that range can cause unevenness across the fretboard.