Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

my new toy (vintage tube goodness inside)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by James Hart, Mar 21, 2003.

1. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:bassist:

Thank you again PatrickJ for the amazing deal! amazing packing job! and amazing tone! :cool:

I thought you said this thing was rough? You must of got it from someone that quit playing and stuck it in the closet 3 months after it was bought new!

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    OK vintage guys...

I'm looking to set this on a 4x12 cabinet, most likely sealed. What drivers would you load it with?

these are looking good to me (thanks Bikehorn):

from http://www.webervst.com/vstorder.html

what do y'all think?

3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Those might be good...at $80 each plus shipping plus a cabinet it's going to be expensive though.

I like EVs (the Webers were described as being EVish). I built an EV TL806 with an EVM12L for guitar but found it to be a great sounding bass cabinet...not real deep sounding but the mids and highs sounded great. It's currently on load to a friend who loves it for the high end in his biamped rig with a 15 underneath.

You ought to keep your eyes open of an old Sunn cabinet...

Have fun and good luck!!!

4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    thanks Billy!

Going with a new vintage cabinet empty + the 4 Webers is only about $50 more then my quote on a Kappa 12 loaded Avatar.

EVM12L... hmmmm, that's a deal I'm hoping on. Old Carvin 412 cabs are a dime a dozen 'round here... they had those EV speakers loaded in the 80's.

and of course if'n a Sunn 412 not by fender comes along I'll snag it :)

I'm also thinking of a pair of 212

Hmmmmm :bassist:

5. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Ok.... this is sad...

but I can't help myself....

bump

:p

6. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    Oooo very nice. I'm not big on amplifications but that head looks really nice. I have a knack for liking vintage stuffs.

7. Flight Time

Flight Time

Aug 29, 2002
    Why don't you ask Rich Briere about a recommendation? He's the local vintage Sunn guru..:)

8. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    :D he said "get a Sunn cabinet"

9. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    That's a great head. I think it was made for guitar, but all of the old Sunns seem to do equally well w/ both guitar and bass.

From 1991 through 2001, I ran my Sunn Sorado w/ a big homemade cab w/ 2x12" Jensens in it. I loved it! When I started playing 5 string and using my octaver more, I wanted a bit more bottom so I retired that rig. Unfortunately, I hurt my Jensens last year - I don't think they're blown but they sound like they're starting to rub a bit. I can't complain, they gave me 10 good years and the guy who sold me the cab had been using them since the '70s.

I see you're in NJ. If you're looking for a sealed 4x12, I've got a big old Acoustic 405 I can sell you. 1 is blown, but the other 3 are good. Or, if you have more $, I could part w/ the homemade (very well done, heavy w/ 2 shelf ports and angled baffle) cab w/ the Jensens in it, but you'd have to get them both checked out and probably reconed. Both cabs have casters.

Happy Sunning!

10. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Thanks Jon. My interest is peeked, I'll email you about the cabinets.

11. Flight Time

Flight Time

Aug 29, 2002
    Oh well, no surprise! ;) Sunn has quite a history (on Rich's website) Great head - congragulations.

12. I've got a 200S head that is probably the same power as your Speptor. I use it with a 2x15 cab that is loaded with EV-Ls. If your going with a 4x12 cab which is what I think the Septor came with but for guitar, You might consider EV as well.

13. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    An early/mid '70s Sunn 4x15 might be fun:D

14. A friend of mine has a SUNN 4x12 cabinet from the same era. He bought it new with one of the SUNN heads. ((They offered lifetime guarantees to the original owners back then)

If you're interested I could find out how Much. Contact me and I'll let you know. It would have to be shipped from Florida.

15. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    :bassist: <-- 'nuff said

I think my Sceptre is the same as the 200s with the addition of reverb and vibrato. I've thought of 2x15.... but since 1985 I've run 12 inchers. I wish I still had my EV loaded Kustom 'tuck -n- roll' 4x12 ... the Thunder Couch :)

email sent... a sunn 412 would be Ideal, but I think shipping from FL to NJ would be rough

------------------------
    thanks for all the replies :) I'm sure I'll have a lot more questions in the future.

For now; If'n you did 5 years of PCB design, build computers for fun, etc, etc... what book about tube amp construction/repair would you buy?

16. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    A 4x12 of typical dimensions should be small enough to ship via FedEx Ground (my preference) or UPS. I've had better service and enjoy lower prices with FedEx Ground than with "Brown".

For big cabinets I either double box them, or wrap them in brown paper, cover them with 1-1/2 in rigid styrofoam (from Home Depot) then custom build a box around the outside. It's not as hard as it sounds, but it takes a little bit of time to do it.

Keep in mind that length (of the longest side) plus girth (basically two widths plus two depths) must be less than 130 inches.

If it's too big for FedEx Ground/UPS try ForwardAir. You have to drop the packaged item off at one of their terminals and the receiver has to pick it up (see www.forwardair.com for locations) but they've always served me well. I believe that the minimun charge is about $45 although the price per 100 lbs is a bargain. I've shipped an 8x10 to California and two Acoustic folded horns (one to Columbus, OH and one to Florida) and have had excellent results.

Good luck!!!

17. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Here's a picture of the Sunn 415M from the '75 catalog.:bassist:

18. stevekim

stevekim

Feb 11, 2000
    los angeles, ca
    good god!

120lbs doesn't seem that bad though for four 15"s.

steve

19. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    [​IMG]
    That would work nicely :)

I'm really digging this Head, I'm playing it thru a single 8 ohm 12. I can't wait to get a real cabinet for it.

What do y'all recommend for a preamp tube? It's got an AMPEREX (marked: 12AX7A/ECC83 71-15) in currently.