Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My new toy! Will the tinkering ever end???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Gabu, Jan 25, 2002.

1. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My band needed some small monitors, I had some some speakers so... bought some wood, jacks, wire... I am still waiting on the tweeters.

I did a real slipshot job as usual, but sheesh it's fun. I should find a talkwoodshop.com site. :D

So they are 8" (at some point with a tweeter crossed at 2khz), in a 1/2' box with 2 jacks for parallel connecting... I even put casters on for the heck of it. Since I have a big two inch hole in the top they are sounding really bassy right now. I am hoping that when I plug that with the tweeter it will give me a nice, compact, full range monitor for my garage practices.

If not... there is always my next project! ;)

2. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    hey, great mcguyver.... here's a paperclip and some chewing gum, you think you could do something about that haircut?

:D

P@

ps... those monitors are definately better than I could've done...

3. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    :) Thanks!

Hey man, no one messes with the do! :p

4. As bass players we have to realize there is a fine line between bass
    artistry and subharmonic weaponry.

Great quote! Did you think that up on your own?

You have accomplished what I never attempted. Mainly because that table saw scares me. Wait!, I really DON'T use the last two fingers on my right hand, do I?

Nice job!;)

5. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    The quote is from Dann Glenn. Thanks for the support! I don't use tablesaws.

I just use a jigsaw, drill, soldering iron and sometimes a screwdriver. (No need for tablesaws and stuff.)

6. I don't know how it sounds, but it looks.... well.... bad! Sorry Gabs, you'll have to do some cosmetics to not get odd looks from your bandmates. They'll think: "how's that cardboard box gonna make my voice sound like a... ehm voice?"

Tech illiterate always go by looks. If it looks nice to them, it sounds good. Believe me.

;)

7. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Joris, it doesn't look like it's painted yet.
    The picture also looks bright, the first time I saw it, it looked like it was a white cabinet, but looking closer, it doesn't appear to be painted.

I think once he paints it, it'll look much better. :)

8. lump

lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    "Particle board? No way. That's, uh...spalted plywood!"

The white casters lend a touch of real class. I think a pink shag bath mat would make an outstanding cover. None of that tolex crap.

And if it sounds like poo, there's always Battle Bots!

9. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Wow, lump...
    You may be onto something!

Imagine that bag end cab that can make your bowls fail running against a metal battle bot.

You could rattle it apart with square waves.
    Naturally your speakers would blow be dead by the end of the tournament, but surely the money they'd give you would compensate for the lost speakers. ;) :D

"ELF systems bot destroys it's enemies by rattling them apart with incredibly low pitched, thundering noises at 30hz, it's also rumored to be able to make a person have uncontrollable fecal release, when made to do so."

10. Softboard for bass / monitor speake ? :eek:

You might wanna put some carpet on that, gabu :D
    and did you put some cloth in it ? ( resonance, heavier sound.. )

11. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Thanks for your thoughts guys. It will be carpeted, also, it will not be ported the hole in th front is for a tweeter I have on order.

I have to confess the white wheels were a buck cheaper per wheel than the black ones! This cab is put together with 3/4" partical board. Not the best wood, but I think okay for a 1/2' box. ;)

Once I get the carpet and tweeter, I think it will look pretty cool. Especially with the pink shag bath mat cover. :D

12. lump

lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    You're a good sport, Gabe. :cool: I get my butt kicked by a Pinewood Derby car.

When it's all done, you need to have a contest so we can come up with a name for it. Oh, the mind simply boggles. It reminds me of an aging shredder we have at work named "R2."

This is the kind of goofy stuff that makes this place so hard to stay away from. I love it.