Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My new toy!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lsu921, Jul 22, 2004.

1. lsu921

lsu921

Jun 6, 2003
    Addis, La
    Tobias Killer B 5.. Zebrawood.. This is my second.. I love these things..

Waiting on the big brown truck!! :hyper: :hyper:

2. ESP Eden

ESP Eden

Feb 9, 2004
    washington mo
    Nice bass. I actually prefer Growlers to killer b's, but with that zebrawood, who knows.

3. Kavorka

Kavorka

Mar 28, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    Congratulations! I've always wanted to try one of those. Really love the zebra wood.

4. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Nice bass. I've always liked Mike's stuff. Currently I have a 535. The Killer B is what got me hooked though. Congrats!

5. lsu921

lsu921

Jun 6, 2003
    Addis, La
    I've got one at home already.. Same bass, but with a Swamp Ash body.. I'm interested to see how different the tone is between the two.

6. lsu921

lsu921

Jun 6, 2003
    Addis, La
    Brown just dropped it off.. Can't tell how it's going to sound compared to my other, but I can say it's a LOT heavier..

7. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    congratulations! :hyper:

8. lsu921

lsu921

Jun 6, 2003
    Addis, La
    Thought I'd give a little update, since I've had this bass for almost a month now..

I like the sound of this one much better than the Swamp Ash Killer B that I have. The Zebrawood/Wenge combination has massive low end and mids compared to the Swamp Ash/Pau Ferro. It cuts through the mix much better. The Ash has a great sound playing at home, but tends to get lost in the mix. It has more of a scooped mid sound to it. I find the Ash one is a bit more of a one trick pony, especially compared to the Zebrawood. I prefer the electronics on the Zebra too.. It has a Blend/Volume with push-pull slap contour/3 position mid selector switch/Bass/mid/Treble. The Ash has Volume/Blend/Bass/Mid/Treble with active/passive switch. They each have their own tone, which is of course, subjective. I just think the Zebra has a better tone from a live playing perspective.

Construction.. The Ash is serial # 2364 and the Zebra is #8115. Gibson claims both were made in 1997. The Ash has a much nicer bridge IMO. It looks a lot heavier than the bridge on the Zebra. The nut on the Ash is cut too low on the A string which causes some rattle if you dig in a little too much. The nut on the Zebra bass is perfect. The control cavity cover on the Zebra bass is cut poorly. The Ash bass is super quiet, where the other makes a little noise. Not bad. They are made of very nice pieces of wood. Especially the Zebra. I get compliments on that one all the time. The Zebra has the exposed wood headstock, where the Ash is painted black. Both are beautiful basses, however I don't think I could justify paying the $2,000 they sell for now.

Playability on both is excellent. I love the neck on these, and the action can get super low. Sloppy play doesn't cut it on either of these. If you're sloppy.. Everyone will know..

That's all for now.. I'm tired of typing.