My New Tribute L-2000

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Althius, Aug 3, 2004.

1. Althius

Jul 25, 2004
    After an agonizing week of visiting every music store within 200 miles, I finally decided to get myself a new Tribute L-2000.

I am rather inexperienced with electric bass, and I was wondering if anyone could give me some pointers on how best use it.

So many dials and switches... :confused: I have a basic understanding of how they all work, but if anyone who owns a L-2000 would like to offer some advice... I would be very appreciative!

2. CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
  3. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Did you go to Mo's music in Edwardsville and get a Tribute? I think I recommended them to you last week. Wherever you got, welcome to the club! I think Tributes are great basses that don't break the bank. :bassist:
  4. Althius

Jul 25, 2004
    Yes I went to Mojo's. Thanks for the heads up. They were very knowledgeable and helpful. I can't tell you how many stores I went to where I asked, "So what exactly do all these switches and knobs do?" where I was met with blank stares and "I dunno"s.

Why do people think I am going to spend 600+ dollars on a bass with no help from staff?

Oh well. If anyone needs to buy a Bass in the Metropolitan St. Louis Area, I recommend Mojo's Music in Edwardsville or Fazio's Frets and Friends in Chesterfield. They are the only two shops that I went to that didn't have their heads firmly implanted in their a$$es.
  5. jakepaul1

Jun 30, 2004
    Congrats - what color? The Blueburst is cool!

6. LoJoe

Sep 5, 2002
    Concord, NC USA.
    If they are the same as an American L2000 or 2500, they go like this:

Toggle switches:

Closest to neck: Pickup selector. Towards the neck = neck pickup, towards the bridge = bridge pickup. Centered = both.

Middle: Splitter. Selects between single coil and humbucking mode. Towards the neck for single coil mode which result in an increase in bass ratio.

Closest to bridge: Passive, active, active treble boost. Towards the bridge = totally passive. No batteries required. Middle = active, pickups at low impedance. Towards the neck = active, low impedance with treble frequencies boosted.

Rotary knobs:

Towards the neck: Volume

Middle: Treble cut

Towards the bridge: Bass Cut

7. Althius

Jul 25, 2004
    Yeah Blueburst rocks. I went with solid black, which looks pretty cool too. I could have ordered a Blueburst, but I am an impatient man. Gimme NOW!!!! I guess I wouldn't get a really ugly one, but black is pretty good.

Thanks for the run down LoJoe, anyone else have any favorite settings to produce any specific 'sounds'.?

TB Rules.
  8. jakepaul1

Jun 30, 2004
    Hey, can't go wrong with black! :)

9. Congrats !

Welcome to the club.
  10. Althius

Jul 25, 2004
    No Love for the Tribute L-2000?

I was expecting people coming out of the woodwork giving me tonal and pickup selection ideas!

Also I heard somewhere on here that the Tribute is slightly different than the G&L. What is different on mine than what LoJoe said?
  11. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I run mine passive a great deal. i also like to solo the neck pickup because it has a very decent P-bass vibe. I tend to run both pickups in the single coil mode for enhanced highs. I tend not to use the treble boost very much when I go active because it is very powerful.
  12. Althius

Jul 25, 2004
    There we go! That's what I'm talkin' 'bout! More! More!

I posted in the string forumn, but haven't gotten any replies so let me add it here:

What strings came with the instrument? Anyone know? Are they good? What would be some good string choices? I have read all the string forum stickies, but it is a little overwhelming. I would assume the La Bella Deep Talkin' or DR Lo Riders would be a good choice. Any L-2000 owners have a preference?

Thanks a million
  13. ESP Eden

ESP Eden

Feb 9, 2004
    washington mo
    Did you go to Eddies guitars in maplewood. Those guys are awesome. I'll have to check out mojo's. But I agree that most stores' staffs don't know what they are talking about. I asked a guy in the guitarcenter on the rock road what the s1 switch did, and he told me it was a bass boost. :rolleyes: Thanks for the info and congrats on the new bass.
  14. Althius

Jul 25, 2004
    I did go to Eddie's and thier selection is incredible (and the shop is beautiful). It was one of the only places in town that had a Geddy Lee (well GC on the Rock Road had one, but it was broken :spit: ) and they had a nice L-2000.

I must say I was a little underwhelmed by the service though. The kid who helped me had to ask if the L-2000 was a bass, and he didn't know anything about it. There was this grumpy guy behind the counter who only gave me notice once I started talkin money. Price at Mojo's was better too. The L-2000 was $560 with no case at Eddie's, $529 with gig bag at Mojo's.

Eddie's seemed like the kind of place that is great if you know exactly what you want. Of course I could have caught them on an off day.
  15. Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I have a Tribute L-2500 and love it. I had new strings thrown in on mine - D'Addarios if I remember correctly. If you are going to string through the body, you need an extra-long set. I personally run mine almost exclusively in passive mode with the middle switch up and either the bridge or both pick-ups on and both tone knobs turned up full. It definitely has the fender vibe to it. Sounds somewhat like a jazz bass I suppose. If I want more of a warmer p-bass like tone, I select the neck pick-up, but have not found I like this configuration unless I switch to active (which I guess isn't real p-bass like, but...). I also use active when slapping (both pickups on). For soloing (which I do rarely, I use both pickups, passive with the center switch down). I've also tried with both pickups on, active and middle switch down - I think this sounds cool by itself, but found it gets lost in the mix when played live.

Hope this helps.
  16. tubster

Feb 5, 2003
    Southwest Spain
    I like the Powerbass and the Flats made by Thomastik Imfeld from Austria. THey are more money but work a treat.

Original basses (US) are fitted with SIT strings.

Try the Dudepit G&L section for more advice -plenty happening there too and all of it...G&L!

Register and scroll down to the G&L section -lots of knowledge there.

Also try

Mine are all U.S.A.but those Tributes look good and by all accounts sound great too!