Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My new Trinity upgrade system...Wow!

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by AMJBASS, Aug 21, 2002.

1. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Well it arrived! My new K&K Trinity upgrade system. I am using the Realist to blend with the Mic. It is unreal! The Mic on it's own sounds exactly like my bass, and is incredibly feedback resistant. I love how it picks up the "attack", without being scratchy. It would be great on it's own for the smaller trio gigs that I play, but in a loud band situation, the microphone would probably start to feedback. The great thing is, I can kick in the Realist, and it solves all of the problems!

The Realist was the only way(so I had thought) to get the sound I wanted, but the G was always weaker than the other strings. Also, If I push the pickup to hard, it gets boomy. However, with the Trinity system, I can use the Mic to thicken the sound on the upper register, and the Realist to add low end. The sound is incredible. I have never been able to get this much low end out of my amp without feedback. That and the clarity I get from the mic gives me my "perfect" sound. I am thrilled to death!!:D
    [​IMG]

2. Excellent! Congratulations - nice job! I love my Golden-Trinity/Bass-Max Combination, and find that it's better for arco when I turn the Bass-Max input down, and just use the Golden-Trinity by itself. One tip: I notice your GT is set to be parallel to the top of the bass - I've found mine works better when set at 45 degrees to the top (just like in Bob (AH) Gollihur's picture). Anyway, great choice - have fun with it!

- Wil

3. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Yep, congrats, and keep spreading the word. I'm thrilled with the GT/DBM combo, and after hearing it, my teacher (a legit guy who plays in the orchestra here) is even going to order one. Enjoy!

4. AMJBASS

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Thanks for the tip! Wow! You were right. Changing the Angle of the microphone really brought out the low frequencies. Who needs the Realist! This thing keeps on getting better and better. I'm going to go practice!:D

5. Bijoux

Bijoux

Aug 13, 2001
    Denver-CO-USA
    I also have a Gt and love it, I was wondering about mic placement, do you guys have it at a 45 degree angle right above the F hole or sort of off to the side?, I actually have mine at a 90 degree angle just underneath the strings facing the wood in between both f holes at about 1 inch from bass, it sounds pretty good, maybe not so much volume, but a great sound. I find it hard to get a good sound when the pick up is right above the f holes, could it be because of the angle?, thanks.

6. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I keep mine right next to the treble bridge foot, pointing upward toward the fingerboard, but at about a 45 degree angle to the bass. When I try to put it over the f hole, the sound is too boomy.

7. Noam Elron

Noam Elron

Apr 14, 2005
    Haifa, Israel
    Hi All,

I have recieved my trinity mic 2 days ago (along with a double bass max). Whenever I turn the mic channel of the mic up to more than a whisper there is an attrocious high-freq feedback. I've experimented with several positions of the mic and the amp, but the problem persists.
    This happens when the high frequencies at both the K&K preamp and the amp (GK-MB150S) are cut

When the volume is at less then a whisper, it produces wonderful sound (I have someone play my bass and stick my head next to the amp), but it's no use at such inaudible levels.

8. hensonbass

hensonbass Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Has anyone tried this mic with a REV SOLO pickup?

9. Noam -- I haven't tried the Trinity mic, but I have the same problem with another mic that I bought awhile ago (the AMT one that gets rave reviews). I have to keep the volume so low that it is useless for gigs. I've gone back to using my old Underwood pickup, through a Fishman Pro EQ pre-amp/equalizer. This gets me the volume I need and the Fishman pre-amp/equalizer enables me to get the sound nice enough to work with.

10. bolo

bolo

May 29, 2005
    Apex, NC
    I had similar experiences with my Golden Trinity, although maybe not quite as acute as what Noam described. There must be a way to get more usable volume out of this setup w/out feedback.

Maybe it involves standing far away enough and/or off center enough from your amp so that the amp doesn't "see" the mic? Maybe you have to stand behind the amp ..

But then you can't really hear it as well. So do you "trust" that you're projecting a good sound out front, even though you might not be able to hear it yourself all that well?

I also had a situation like greitzer did with my AMT mic. I was using the AMT at a quiet gig this week. Low volume to be sure. But I had to stand about 3 feet directly in front of my amp. And even at relatively low volume, the AMT was generating feedback - the high pitched "electronic" variety, not the low rumbly kind where the bass body seems to vibrate out of control. Since I could not really move around much, I switched the mic off and just used my pickup.

Is the key to getting decent gain out of a mic just a matter of finding the right position for you and your mic relative to your speaker cab? Any advice would be appreciated!

11. Adrian Cho

Adrian Cho Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    I don't know whether this applies to the situations described above, but if the acoustic sound from the instrument is not all that strong and the gain is set too high, then you will get feedback earlier. I can play pretty much any gig with just the mic (AMT) but I can also play a lot of gigs without an amp. Of course there are a lot of variables. Mics are not a good choice for generating extreme levels of volume.

12. AMJBASS

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Exactly. You need to generate a lot of acoustic volume for a mic to be really effective. Any mic will start to feedback including the AMT if you crank the gain. It is also better to cut frequencies with a mic rather than boost(although this can be applied to pickups as well).

13. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004

Glad you asked. I had a GT/Bass Max setup. It sounded just okay at home and, for me, was unacceptable when playing out. Feedback was always a problem. In addition, I found the pre-amp to be somewhat poorly designed. It was far too easy to distort (hit the E hard and you hear "Blaaat"). It took about six hours of very careful trial and error adjusting the microphone placement and the amplifier gain/tone (the internal pots). When the gain was backed off so as not to distort the front end (op amp), I barely got enough output from the mic channel. I usually ended up turning off the mike.

Then I got a Revolution Solo. It far out-classed the Bass Max and was so neutral sounding that there was no need to use a microphone to achieve that "acoustic" sound. That's all I have now. I wouldn't add a microphone to my setup unless it was an AMT or something of that quality but really I have neither the desire nor the need. With the RS, my amplified sound really comes astonishingly close to "the sound of my bass, just bigger."

These are just my experiences. Obviously, others have had very good experiences with the GT systems. Different basses, different requirements, different desired effect-- who knows?