1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My new tripleneck

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pklima, Mar 17, 2006.

1. are there truss rods on that bad boy?

2. pklima

pklima Commercial User

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Karoryfer Samples
    No truss rods. Which makes the one-string neck quite flexible... strong enough to hold up to the tension of one string, probably, but feels wobbly.

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Interestingly (to me, anyway), I'm feeling a twinge of GAS.

4. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    Wow, those necks are laminated???

5. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    Im actually kind of surprised it was so cheap. He made custom pickups for all those strings, too, right? Im just looking at the pictures on Krappy's website.

6. pklima

pklima Commercial User

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Karoryfer Samples
    Yeah, custom pickups as well as bridges, laminated oak/mahogany necks. The fit, finish and playability way better than a certain luthier whose name starts with "W" and ends with "ishnevsky".

This is now my rehearsal bass for a traditional blues-rock band. I'm mostly using the C-G-D neck for that, haven't felt any need for a standard four-string yet.

7. Why don't you just get one six string bass so you don't need 3 necks?

8. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    because my six string bass keeps getting referred to as a guitar. i dont think the krappy will have that problem, it falling more into the "what the hell is that" category of classification rather than anything else.

9. pklima

pklima Commercial User

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Karoryfer Samples
    Fewer strings and thin, narrow necks make playing a lot easier for both the right and left hand.

10. that is the weirdest, ugliest ... can I call it a bass?... ok... bass... I have ever seen... I mean, its an insult to bassplayers... really... a ONE string neck? a 2 string?

Anyway, thats just my opinion, if it tickles your fancy, thats cool. ;)

11. Basshole

Basshole Banned

Jan 28, 2005
    Krappy.

12. that was a knee slapper.

andways. that bass is... different. thats all i can say.

oh, and i want one.

13. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    It's so goofy, I dig it.

14. pklima

pklima Commercial User

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Karoryfer Samples
    FWIW, if I were to get another I'd skip the one-string neck. Of course that's me and the stuff I'm playing right now, your situation may be different. I once auditioned for a band which insisted that the bass must play all notes on the E string... so a one-string neck would be all I'd need there.

15. pklima

pklima Commercial User

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Karoryfer Samples
    Actually, it doesn't sound crappy at all. The pickups are close to the bridges so it's pretty bright but not trebly or shrill, just midrangey. The notes don't have a whole lot of low-end meat without help from EQ, especially in the lowest register. The tone is nice and musical, though, even running through a setup that doesn't impart a lot of coloration (AI Clarus and PA cabinet). I'm sure it would be great at retaining clarity with distortion. I hope to try that tomorrow.

The main thing that bugs me is the one-string neck - it's so flexible that I have to watch my fingering technique so I don't put too much pressure on the neck and bend the notes out of tune. That makes big leaps a bit more difficult.

16. pklima

pklima Commercial User

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Karoryfer Samples
    I'm seriously considering taking the one-string and three-string necks off and just making it a two-string tuned CG. I think that would be more practical. And possibly look even goofier with the empty neck pockets and whatnot.

Here's some more eye candy:

krappy1.

krappy2.

krappy3.

krappy4.

krappy5.

17. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    Dang that's cool.....

18. That thing looks like fun! Very cool, in a Krappy sorta way...

19. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    a lot of attention to "detail" is evident here - the laminated necks actually are a really nice touch. but, my, is it one ugly bass.

20. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    First thought on the picture? The BG side of the DB is on the wrong side. Reverse it, things work out better...:p