Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My New Ultra-Light Stack

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by X Wolf, Aug 21, 2005.

1. X Wolf

X Wolf Guest

Hi,

I'm new here, this is only my 2nd post. I got a chance to play my new stack this last weekend and I thought I'd share my experience. I've been playing a very long time and I've owned many types of amps but I have some physical issues and realized that I needed some new high quality, great sounding equipment but I was both un-willing and unable to lug around heavy gear anymore. This is what I came up with:

The Eden WT-405 weighs only 15 lbs. and is just an amazing head. First of all the controls are effective, intuitive and it's extremely easy and fast to find the sound you are looking for. you just start out with the eq flat which sounds great and then simply tweak the treble, bass and mids as needed. In my case not much tweaking was needed. There is an "Enhance" knob which I didn't need to use more than a few clicks and a "Warm" button which can be preset to the amount of warmth you desire. The 405w into 8ohms was more than adequate for my needs: Small to Medium venues + Studios. I would describe the sound as natural, clean yet warm especially for an all SS type amp. All in all I'm very satisfied.

The Flite Cabs IMHO are just fantastic, mine weigh only 29.5 lbs. each! and that's with conventional magnet Eminence 15" 8ohm Kappa's. Flite also makes a very slightly larger version with a 5.5" midrange added and I'd love to try that one as well but I didn't order those because I wanted these to be as small and light as possible. By the way the single 15's with the standard Eminence speakers are even lighter than mine by about 1.5 lbs. Flite also makes some really interesting 10's, 12's etc. There's even a new 4-10" that weighs only 51lbs!

How do they sound? I should point out first that I play fingerstyle and although I can play somewhat percussively with my first two digits I never do any slapping. To my ear, these sound big and punchy but not muddy as some 15's can. I was really surprised at the clarity and focus for 2-15's. I did try sitting the stack on an Auralex Gramma platform and that did seem to increase the projection and mids a bit.

I love the way this system sounds and I'm really lovin how easy it is to move around. By the way, Guy at Flitesound is a joy to deal with.

2006 Update: This is really a very nice light weight stack but I have sold it and gone back to an all tube Ampeg stack consisting of a V-4BH/SVT15E/SVT210HE. I really missed the bigger and warmer Ampeg tube tone and the only downside is that I will now have to use a cart and/or get a little help to set up ( I have some pysical issues ) but I think it's going to be worth having the tone that I have loved since the '70's.

Cheers,

George

2. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    Hey Geroge nice review, I've been thinking about getting a eden wt 550, and what you said about the 405 has been what I've read about every other eden head so that was a +.

Does flite sound have a website?

I'd like to check out those cabs you mentioned.

Really cool looking and at 30 pounds thats hard to beat the lightest 112 I know of weighs 40lbs and thats an even smaller driver!

What kind of material do they use to make the cabs? MDF or something?

Best of luck dude!

-Rob

3. Low Class

Low Class Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2005
    Orange Park, Florida
    I have 2 cabs ordered just like yours to be shipped out tomorrow. Can't wait! I'll be pushing mine with a WW Ultra. Sold my Berg 112 Stack to switch over to the Flites. I'll throw my $.02 worth in when they get here.

http://www.flitesound.com/home/default.asp

4. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    Just checked em out.

They look really cool, fairly resonably priced, only complaints are they don't show what the cabs frequency is, no list of material used for the construction, dosn't say if they have speakon or 1/4 connections. They didn't have the db rating either, I always like to find that out about the cabs I'm looking at first to see how much power I would need to feed em. The grill just over the speaker is kind of weary some, I'm just used to the whole front of the cab having a grill.

Other than that they are cool, I'll try to find some reviews.

-Rob

5. X Wolf

X Wolf Guest

Rob,

Thank you for the response! As I understand it, the cabs are made with a sandwich type construction consisting of two layers of wood with plastic foam of some kind in between the panels with the corners being wood. The cabs come with both Speakon and 1/4 inputs. As far as frequency response, etc. Just e-mail Attn: Guy at www.flitesound.com and I'm sure he will be happy to provide you with the specs you need, he's very helpful.

George

Also, please see my 2006 update in my original post.

6. Low Class

Jul 4, 2005
    Orange Park, Florida
    Received my 1x15" Flite cabs a couple of weeks ago. Mine came with the Eminence Delta's. At first I wasn't very happy with them. They weren't the worst cabs I've ever heard, but nowhere near the best either. But they are so light(27lbs) I was talking myself into getting by with them. Then a friend of mine was nice enough to swap my Deltas for a pair of Kappas. What a difference!! These babies pump out some serious tone!! Used them on gig in a room that nothing I've tried sounded good(Bergs, EA's, and a few others) and the Flites sounded great! This stack totally blows away my Berg stack. Lighter and better sounding. If anyone is looking for a serious lightweight rig, I highly recommend the Flite 1x15's with the Kappa speakers.

7. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I'll bet those Kappas weigh MUCH more than the Deltas, though . . . .

8. Low Class

Jul 4, 2005
    Orange Park, Florida
    1.5 lbs more. Hardly noticeable.

9. Low Class

Jul 4, 2005
    Orange Park, Florida
    Did 3 gigs with my Kappa loaded Flites this weekend and I couldn't be happier. Fri and Sat were with a Funk, R&B, Rock, Raggae type band and I used both cabs with a old SWR SM400 and I got wonderful sounding fingerstyle and slap tones. Then took one cab and my Walter Woods Ultra Sunday morning to my church gig and got a big beautiful tone. The cabs are the s@#t if portability and good sound is what you're looking for. They sound much better than my Berg HT/EX stack ever did, and one cab covers more gigs than one HT112 ever did. I HIGHLY recommend these!