1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

My new upright

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by ericsmith, Apr 12, 2009.

1. ericsmith

ericsmith Supporting Member

Dec 22, 2008
    Finally after trying out a load of basses during the last couple of years I found it.
    This is the first bass that is not just borrowed or that, it's mine. And that's brilliant!

I posted a thread about the luthier of it a while back.
    From what I know it's made in Erlbach in Markneukirchen (so it's german) in the 1920's or in 1920, not sure, by Hans Englert. From there it has somehow found itself in Finland and now it's with me.

It has a carved top and a flat back.

I'll post pictures when I find a way to resize them.

2. Congratulations!!!

I hope you have loads of fun with your new instrument. Can't wait to see the pics!

3. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    Congrats on finding a new musical soul-mate. As we say, no pics, no bass! :)

4. Jazzcat

Jazzcat

Jan 20, 2009
    Titusville, FL
    ...and no bass, no voice. (Forum rules)

5. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Also, you don't have to call it an upright in these forums, just call it a bass. It's just assumed. You know, like in China, it's not "Chinese Food", it's just "food". :D

6. Eric Swanson

Eric Swanson

Oct 8, 2007
    Boston, MA
    Welcome here. Your bass sounds like a nice one. :)

7. drurb

Apr 17, 2004
    I love this!

8. Yeah, Marcus. I agree with drurb.
    Nice....wha' happened? Didja sober up?

9. drurb

Apr 17, 2004
    ...but, of course, PW, even if it weren't assumed, you'd never call it an upright! ;)

10. I know, man.
    Somehow, spending time around here, I've learned to live with "upright". But when it goes to "standup", my Boyz :ninja: get a bit edgy.

Congrats Eric.

11. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Good, strong, Kona coffee.

12. ericsmith

Dec 22, 2008
    Good point! Thanks for the responses everyone.

http://picasaweb.google.com/eerosep/Bass?feat=directlink

Do you see her? Wonder if that works...

Look at the shoulders! Is that normal? I mean it looks like the right shoulder is a lot slimmer.

What do you think? I think it's a great bass. Really quite light and well kept, it's almost shiny!

Btw, these pics don't do justice. They prove the existence of the bass though :)

13. Nice, Eric. Good old German shop bass.
    Not clear on your question though. Shoulder slimmer than what?
    I sold a bass almost exactly like this, here in Denver about 15 years ago, to a good local player. Highly in demand, and IMO, due to the sound he gets out of the bass.
    Enjoy.

14. zeytoun

zeytoun

Dec 19, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    It looks like a bit more slope on the treble shoulder than the bass shoulder.

Could just be a bit crooked from age, repairs, etc.

15. ericsmith

Dec 22, 2008

That's what I meant. It looks more than just crooked, though... Who knows. Maybe it's an accident... It doesn't really even matter.

We haven't done any soundpost moving yet but the sound is really dry and even now that is has opened up a bit.
    I have tried some different strings on it. Spiros, Daddarios, Jargars, Obligatos to name some (and I think that's all). It's currently strung with Daddario helicore mediums A, D & G with Obligato E. The search is never ending.

16. We just tried to help a new guy just a couple weeks ago on this issue.
    SP adjustments first. IMO.

17. ericsmith

Dec 22, 2008
    The thing is, though, it sounds good now and I don't really think it needs adjustments that bad. It was more for just trying whether it would go better or worse... Just came home from my lesson and it sounded really big and I'm satisfied.
    Makes me want to play it more.

18. drurb

Apr 17, 2004

All good! You love it, you think it sounds great. Enjoy and don't fret, uh, I mean don't worry! :)

19. Peachy.
    I thought when you mentioned that it sounded "dry", that it was something that you didn't like.

20. ericsmith

Dec 22, 2008

Yeah I meant it's all good. Big and dry and juicy at the same time, ya know?