1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My New Upton Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by reedo35, Mar 25, 2006.

1. Just got my new Medio Fino Hybrid from Upton Bass yesterday.
    It still needs to settle in a little bit, but so far, I am very impressed with it. I like the vanish on it, and I love how they idiot-proofed the bridge placement with removable tape! It projects very well and has a decent low end. Of course it's not in the same league as my fully carved Bass, but It was a great bargain for the money, being that I didn't have to pay for it! :p
    Here are some pics:

2. While I'm posting pics, I thought I'd show my main bass. It's either a Juzek or a wilfer from 1923, I'm not sure which one, but seeing how closely both makers are intertwined, it doesn't really matter to me, I love the sound!

3. Thank You, It's a little early to pass Judgement yet, But here are some more Pics:

4. And the Scroll:
    I'll post some pros and Cons a little later.

5. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004

Where do I sign up for a free bass? :smug:

6. On the label it says "Erzeugt in Wernitzgrun, Markneukirchen, Deutschland, 1923 and there is a small picture of three little guys on the left side. And there is some handwriting over the label. I guess that's the guy who repaired it. Here is a Pic-

7. Find your local Army Recruiter. :D FYI I'm A Bass Player with the US Army Band in Virginia, and they pay for all of my professional equipment. So you should know your tax dollars are hard at work.
    (You should thank me for getting this one instead of the full-carved NS LaScala!:smug: )

8. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    Hey Reed, I am Scott Cutrer, the old 392 Bass Player. Congrats on the great looking bass. All I could get them to buy was the crappy EC1 but I did score the Azola. Hey gimme a shout sometime. I could use some lessons.

9. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    For some reason, I read that last post as "Scott Cutrer, the 392-year-old bass player". I think I'd better get some sleep....:eyebrow:

10. armybass

Jul 19, 2001
    Sometimes I feel like it brother....LOL.;)

11. What`s that microphone on there, reedo ?

12. Oh, That's the K&K Golden Trinity setup, with the Bass Max on one side and the Bullet Mic on the other. It didn't come with the bass.

13. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    1) I'm too old for that deal.

2) The cost to me would be greater than paying for the bass.

3) I'd be fine with my tax dollars buying YOU the fully-carved LaScala. I'm not so fond of some other ways they are spent!

:)

14. armybass

Jul 19, 2001
    Me either but we probably shouldn't get into that here eh?:smug:

15. relacey

relacey

Sep 18, 2004
    I WAS a little envious since I have the same bass on order and I keep waiting for Jack to call and tell me it's on the bench. But, at least my tax dollars are being put to good use. ;) . Feel free to post more pictures and any impressions you'd care to share and I'll try to keep my bass envy under control. This will be my first URB, so I'm a little antsy.

16. OK, I have been playing this Bass all afternoon, and my fingers are tired, so here are my initial impressions, good and bad:

Good:) - 1. This is a great Bass for the Cost-Value ratio!
    2. Projects very well, I had someone standing 15 feet away, and they were amazed at how it "Bloomed" into the room.
    3. Very nice Low End, I can feel it in my lower regions woo-hoo!
    4. Arc of the bridge and fitting of the feet to the contour of the body are excellent. Nice Job!
    5. I have Obligatos on it, it bows very well, nice growl on the E.

Bad:meh: - I should say "could be better" but, oh well...
    1. When I got it, the string height was LOW. I mean really low,
    I had to jack up the adjusters quite a bit to get it to where I play.
    2. Nice low end,as I said, but it sort of loses definition- sounds a little "Tubby" maybe just needs to open up a bit, it is New..
    3. On the same line, the high end sounds a little stuffy above the A in TP..Maybe some more playing will open it up.
    4. Neck is thicker than I'm used to. This is neither good or Bad, it just is.. It is similar to a Meisel, but not that chunky.
    So that's what I think right now,I'l post some results after I play it on the job.

17. Well, we're talking about the bass here, not the bow, but anyway... tried it with Carlsson's on one of my bows, and Oak rosin on the other.

18. relacey

relacey

Sep 18, 2004
    Thanks for the review. The good :) items sound great :hyper: to me, especially bang for the buck, and since this is my first URB, I probably won't even notice some of your "could be better" items right away. Is there anything different you wish you'd asked for in the setup besides a higher string setup?

Ron

19. Well as far as strings go, the obligatos were the right choice for me, I was tempted to try Animas, but that was well over the $140.00 limit they had on the strings you can get. Dominants might be a little stiffer, if you want more tension,
    But Flexicores may sound a little muddy on it, I can't say for sure.BTW, They also use the new tailgut material, which is definitely a step up from the straight wire on most new basses.
    Oh, and I don't mean to rave, but I also got the new Upton Bass Case With it, also a great bargain at the new price.

20. Ken Lloyd

Ken Lloyd Supporting Member

Dec 22, 2004
    Portland, Maine