Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My new (used) fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Brad Johnson, Jun 10, 2001.

1. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Elrick New Jazz Standard fretless 5 (deep-cut 35scale). Set neck. Maple neck, Ebony board w/lines on the side of the board and small dots on the face of the board. Ebony head stock). Mahogany semi-hollow body with Spruce top. Bartolini pick-up in the bridge position. Passive electronics. Ebony bridge with Fishman piezo pick-up.

This bass sounds amazing. Biggest, warmest sound I've come across, practically plays itself...and it weighs nothing.
    :D

2. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Lemme guess...$10 at a garage sale?

Congratulations, man! I hate you.

3. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    I'll just say it was a pretty good deal on an excellent bass.

4. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    Spill it Brad, how much did ya steal it for.

:D

5. Sounds like a great bass. Congrats! You gonna post some photos?

Jeff

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Congratulations again, Brad.

You make me sick!:)

So, what else are you unloading besides the Clover?

7. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    At the moment, Em-B, everything else is a keeper (I'm pretty sure I said that about the Clover, too;))
    I'm going to hang onto the Surine 7, even though I only play it occasionally it's too much fun to let go. Outside chance I may move my Gold 97 MIA JD5 but there's no reason for that right now.

I'll get some pics up soon. I'm looking for an alternative to Photopoint.com ...they want $19.95 and I don't have that many photos up to justify that.

Price? I think I'll keep this one to myself;)

A two day review: this is the most acoustically alive bass I've seen so far. This is my first real exposure to Elricks (not in a music store). This one is a serious hybrid. The semi-hollow body is built almost entirely from one piece of Mahogany, the Spruce top picks up every vibration. It's deeper that a standard Elrick, it has a set neck like the upper end Elricks, 5 in-line Hipshot tuners including a de-tuner on the B that I'd bet I'll never use, perfect neck. I can't believe how nice this bass is. The action is silly...touch it and it sings.

I'm going to be talking to Rob about another one after Summer NAMM...now that I've seen what he's capable of, I'm a believer. He takes a back seat to no one as far as skills.

Or I may find another one used;)

8. Guess you wont be needing that Legacy anymore?!!?...hehe

Comparatively speaking, how does the Zon stack up to the Elrick?

9. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    The Legacy won't be going anywhere;). The Legacy Standard is still a great bass and as far as versatility (the ability to sound like a great fretless OR fretted bass) I'd give it the edge. As far as other-worldy B's and mwah, the Elrick is amazing. It really responds to a light touch, the sustain is so good it almost seems wrong;), it sounds more acoustic than the Legacy. The Legacy has more punch. They both respond to different techniques very well, slight edge to the Elrick.

I still love the playability of the Zon but the Elrick, with it's weightless body, sculpted neck heel and satiny feel...you'd have to hold this thing to believe it.

This is not a standard bass that Rob makes. I've been looking for a fretless that could hang with my Zon for over three years and was beginning to think I wouldn't find one...this is the first that truly made my jaw drop like the Zon did. That's part of the hunt:)

Can't wait to gig with this one.

10. Wow!!! I cant wait to see some pics!!

11. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    I haven't decided on where to host pics so I'll attach a few. I currently have the fretless and a NJS fretted 5 that came in last week

12. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
  13. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Brad,

STOP IT!! You're buying up all the cool basses. If you do this again, we'll have no choice but to all descend upon your house, en masse, so that we can have a chance to play cool basses, too. Make lot's of lemonade. J/K :D

[end of rant]

Seriously, though, cudos!!!

Peace,

James

btw - Due to some Super Dad heroics and a well planned & executed anniversary evening, my bass quota just got increased to a whopping 4!!!! Deal already in the works. And it's not an Alembic [shudder]

14. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Thanks, James. I got good news today...my Surine 7 sold:). Just waiting on the Clover now.

Here's the other Elrick. It's supposed to be a red stain...

15. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
  16. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    very beautiful bass Brad, I just can't get used to that headstock!
    But I would take it anyway, I'm sure it sound great!

17. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    If you remember the thread about headstocks, I mentioned these models (NJS). Now that I have two...they're kind of growing on me. Good thing the basses don't suck;)