Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

my new (vintage) L2000

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by KB, May 16, 2002.

1. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Just scored a 1982 G&L L2000 E from Ebay very cheaply. Hopefully it will arrive soon. Seller claims it has mahogany body. It looks in OK shape from the pictures. It even has the skunk stripe. Here are a few photos:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Can't wait until I get it. I already have a fairly new one (2000?) with alder body. It will interesting to compare the two.

-KB

2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    My old L2000E is sweet. Congrats.

3. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    It will be very nice to compare it to my other L2000 (the 2000 model that used to belong to craigb). especially since i think the controls are slightly different. I'll have to see which one has more mojo :cool:

-KB

4. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

Cool! I look forward to seeing your report on it. The one you got from me is a 2000 and was ordered from the factory for me (so it was built in 2000, not NOS then).

5. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    Cool catch KB. Your avatar threw me off for a second. Didn't it used to be some green alien or something?

6. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Seamus: yes new Avatar. Got tired of the alien (it was an old logo for my band and we have a whole new theme coming out, when our new CD is released)

Bassmangreg: yep coming from Columbus. Cool to know a former owner. I am not too concerned about the weight (I plan on using a nice hefty strap). I believe it will be a lot heavier than my other basses (my 8-string will be close), but I change basses a lot during our shows.
    Thanks for the other pictures

7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The grain certainly looks like mahogany. I didn't know that G&L ever used that for a body wood.

8. It is mahogany. When I traded it to the seller, I had to show him it was mahogany, he thought it was ash. He took it in the back room for a minute and came back and said, "Yep...that's mahoghany."
    There is a very small chip in the finish at the bottom near the straplock ( I installed straplocks) and you can see it there. I could not get those straplocks off or it would have been all original (I couldn't find the right screwdriver in time) .I sent the original strap connectors to Brian at the LowEnd where I traded two other basses for a L2500. (the natural 78 pbass on his website and a white refinished pbass which is not displayed) I bought the G&L L2000E from a guy in Austin Texas so that bass is making it's way around the country. Again I hope that you will enjoy it.

If you click on my profile or my homepage above you can view my current basses.

9. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    what kind of strap locks are they? I usually install them on all my basses anyway.

-KB

10. The original " Jim Dunlap" staplocks, I think.

I install them on all my basses too.

It's the kind that has the strap that insert into the straplock.

11. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    haha, I love that L2500, probably because I have and identical one on its way in a day or 2 only w/maple board and natural binding! We'll have to share pics :D

12. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Got the bass today. Here are my initial comments.
    First off, the nut is cracked at the E string, but still functional. I have a good local luthier who I'll take it to to get replaced at a later date (it is still funtional). Also the bass was shipped in pieces (neck, and body separated. No big deal). After assembling i found the action to be nice and low and the neck to be straight. One of my new strings i tried to put on it popped, but I had another set (different brand...so 1 string is an oddball until my new strings arrive).
    The weight is definately heavier than my other alder L2000, but I plan to get a padded strap.I must say though that the bass is really cool looking (a lot better than the pictures). It kind of looks like furniture.

As for the inital sound comparisons (as played through a cheap loaner 75W practice amp as my my amp head is being repaired). The sound of the mahogany is very tight. Not as much emphasis is the low mids as my alder L2000. The bass response is a little more defined (but I won't know how much beef it has until I get my real amp back) The controls are a little different. the middle switch on the 1982 is parallel/single while on my alder 2000 L2000 it is the now std parallel/series. I do like the series sound, so not having it might take some getting used to on the '82, but I'll have to see. There is definately a differnce in the fretboards (both rosewood). The '82 is a lot thinner and looks more "oily", maybe the contributes to the more defined sound? Also the '82 neck with the skunk stripe feels slightly thinner than my '00, but it does have a thick coating on it. More reviews and maybe some photos to come later. Any thoughts?

Summary:
    1982 L2000 (mahogany/Rosewood - tobacco? or 3 tone? burst finish (can't tell due to the wood color)): heavier weight, tighter/brighter sound, still getting used to the controls, cool looks (front control plate and finish)

2000 L2000 (alder/rosewood - sparkle black finish): more balls (due to series mode and alder), smoother neck, lighter, not as worn

-KB

13. I knew the crack was there but I forgot it was there. That bass does look very good and is all original. It will win any contest in looks but could be easily mistaken for an anchor. I just couldn't handle the weight but it had an excellent set up for slapping I think. I'm glad you are happy with it and I don't know why Mike took the bass apart to ship it. That's the first time I have heard of anyone doing something like that.I hope you keep it and good luck with it. It seems that you know what you want and how you want it! Take care!

You are going to love those pups.

14. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    KB that is a sweet G&L, I'm looking for the same exact bass, nice early 80's L2000 with the old Headstock.
    If ya ever get tired of the weight give me a yell;)

15. What's up Funster!

I have an L2500 also that is sort of heavy and I can't get use to the close strings on the fingerboard and seemingly short neck. But I plan to keep it. I would have kept the tobacco burst L2000 but it was not a five string. I have been spending most of my time with as American jazz 5 string and that makes it harder for me I think to switch. But my goal was to be as efficent with the five string bass as the four. "Holdin Down the Bottom"

16. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I don't think the weight will really bother me as I also have an 8-string that is heavier than the L2000. I just wish i had my amp head back so I could really hear the sound.

I thought it was a little wierd to ship the bass in pieces too, but it took only 5 mins to assemble.

Hey Funkster, if I ever decide to get rid of it I'll let you know. I now have 4 basses and I don't think the ms. is going to let me keep all 4 ;) :p
    If I sell one though it will probably be my Carvin.

-KB

17. TheLarch

TheLarch Supporting Member

I also have a vintage 1982 G&L L2000e. Mine has a swamp ash body with maple neck and I TOTALLY love the bass!!! I've only had it for about 5-6 months but it is THE bass that I've been looking for in 20+ years of playing. Much more in line with the sound I have been aiming for, but have never achieved with the American & Japanese Fenders, high-end Ibanez Musicians & Roadstars, etc that I've had over the years.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I was under the impression that the middle switch even on the vintage L2000's was also to choose between Series (flipped towards neck) vs. parallel (towards bridge). Maybe someone who knows the first generation L2000's can provide the definitive answer.

You will not be disappointed with the sound, your shoulders may ache after a couple of hours of playing, though.

18. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    according to the guitarsbyleo.com website (looking at the wiring/instruction manuals for the L2000E) it seems to be Parallel/single. The parallel sound is very similar to the parallel sound of my other L2000. The single sound is different than any sounds I get on my other L2000. I know that I wasn't able to get that ballsy series sound of my newer L2000 on the '82.

I think the vintage '82 pre-amp is parallel towards the neck and single to the bridge on the middle switch.

Maybe someone with more experience with the older L2000E pre-amp can shed some more light.??

-KB

19. I have a L2500 and it hums even after I put in fresh batteries except for the passive mode? What's up with this?