1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

My New Violin Bass Project

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Jul 30, 2005.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Hi Friends i thought i would share with you my newest Violin Bass project. Last night i was just killing some time on the internet and since talk bass was down i thought i would look around ebay. One of the searches i allways do is "Violin Bass" or "Beatle Bass". And well into the second page of the search i saw this http://cgi.ebay.com/60s-CAMEO-BEATLE-BASS_W0QQitemZ7339915180QQcategoryZ4713QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem this is my favorite body design out of all the violin bass varites and this is the hard to find varite with F holes. I was strongly considering having a builder build me a bass but finding this and doing the mods to it will save me so big $.The only catch is that it isint the same headstock as the one i was planning but i have an extra bass with the design that i am going to trade the necks on http://www.talkbass.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=18189 and put the other up for sale. So with help from a friend i made an offer to buy the bass and end the auction early and the seller agreed, Thanks John :) .Now to the basses transformation. First i will trade the necks and the body with the F holes will get the Scroll headstock neck.I am trying to find out when the bass has the finish striped for refinishing in GREENBURST of Course if a figured maple cap can be added. As of now i am considering Michael Dolan for this project. I really do like these basses i find them great for Acoustic Jams and Gigs and they work perfectly in Church Music their not the best for playing Metallica covers but thats why i have a Sadowsky. :hyper: :bassist:

2. MAJOR METAL

I expect to have it at the end of next week. :hyper:

3. Looks classy. I hope it turns out well. :hyper:

4. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I can see you rawking out to Master of Puppets with that thing. :oops:

5. MAJOR METAL

With a good set up and the right kind of strings i am sure i could. :bassist:

6. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    I hope that's a fixed bridge (looks like it could be). I've been learning firsthand the joys of intonation and a floating bridge...not fun... :meh:

[​IMG]

7. MAJOR METAL

Its a floating bridge but they pretty much stay in place once intonated.

8. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Formerly the owner/builder of LeCompte Electric Bass
    I noticed the seller was from Houston. He probably needs the money so he can plop down the cash for the LeCompte VB-4 on consignment over at Rockin' Robin...:smug:...which works well for both Church music and Metallica covers.

9. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Yes but string changes can be a bit of a pain...put flats on it and let em go!

10. MAJOR METAL

Yeah i pretty much just play flats on these kind of basses.

11. MAJOR METAL

Its on the way :hyper:

12. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    To you or up to Dolan for refin?

13. MAJOR METAL

To me first to change a few of the parts and the neck and then off for refinishing.

14. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Keep us posted please...cool project!