Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My New Violin Bass Project

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Jul 30, 2005.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Hi Friends i thought i would share with you my newest Violin Bass project. Last night i was just killing some time on the internet and since talk bass was down i thought i would look around ebay. One of the searches i allways do is "Violin Bass" or "Beatle Bass". And well into the second page of the search i saw this http://cgi.ebay.com/60s-CAMEO-BEATLE-BASS_W0QQitemZ7339915180QQcategoryZ4713QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem this is my favorite body design out of all the violin bass varites and this is the hard to find varite with F holes. I was strongly considering having a builder build me a bass but finding this and doing the mods to it will save me so big $.The only catch is that it isint the same headstock as the one i was planning but i have an extra bass with the design that i am going to trade the necks on http://www.talkbass.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=18189 and put the other up for sale. So with help from a friend i made an offer to buy the bass and end the auction early and the seller agreed, Thanks John :) .Now to the basses transformation. First i will trade the necks and the body with the F holes will get the Scroll headstock neck.I am trying to find out when the bass has the finish striped for refinishing in GREENBURST of Course if a figured maple cap can be added. As of now i am considering Michael Dolan for this project. I really do like these basses i find them great for Acoustic Jams and Gigs and they work perfectly in Church Music their not the best for playing Metallica covers but thats why i have a Sadowsky. :hyper: :bassist:

2. MAJOR METAL

I expect to have it at the end of next week. :hyper:

3. Looks classy. I hope it turns out well. :hyper:

4. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I can see you rawking out to Master of Puppets with that thing. :oops:

5. MAJOR METAL

With a good set up and the right kind of strings i am sure i could. :bassist:

6. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    I hope that's a fixed bridge (looks like it could be). I've been learning firsthand the joys of intonation and a floating bridge...not fun... :meh:

[​IMG]

7. MAJOR METAL

Its a floating bridge but they pretty much stay in place once intonated.

8. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Formerly the owner/builder of LeCompte Electric Bass
    I noticed the seller was from Houston. He probably needs the money so he can plop down the cash for the LeCompte VB-4 on consignment over at Rockin' Robin...:smug:...which works well for both Church music and Metallica covers.

9. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Yes but string changes can be a bit of a pain...put flats on it and let em go!

10. MAJOR METAL

Yeah i pretty much just play flats on these kind of basses.

11. MAJOR METAL

Its on the way :hyper:

12. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    To you or up to Dolan for refin?

13. MAJOR METAL

To me first to change a few of the parts and the neck and then off for refinishing.

14. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Keep us posted please...cool project!