Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My new vl-210

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by FunkySpoo, Apr 16, 2002.

1. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    I've had a Eden 410xlt for about 2 years now and have always liked it, but have recently gotten tired of lugging around. So I started looking for smaller cabs that still have a big sound ( seems like everybody is). I first tried the low b2 from Acme. Like most people I thought the tone was awesome, I really loved them. But, like most people find out it wasn't loud enough :( . Then I ordered the Euphonic Aubio vl-210 from Bass Central ( thanks Gard and Grasshopper) it came Friday afternoon and I giggged it Friday night. I was a little concerned about it's volume after playing the Acmes. After the first song I new I didn't have to worry. This cab is huge. I really can't believe the tone. the lows are tighter than the Edens' the mids are growly but not aggressive and the highs are open and airy and not at all harsh or nasally. The band and my bubs in the audience commented that they could hear me better and that they could feel the notes more. I did have to drive my amp (old sm400) alittle harder than with my 410xlt, but hey it's only a 210 but no clipping even at on loudest notes. And to top it off it fits in the trunk of my new VW Jetta. I have a 410xlt for sale now. No really, I'm not kidding. If anybody is interested let me know

2. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    Damn You!:D
    I mean... I'm jealous- I too spoke w/ BC 'cause they have some of the EA VL's in stock.

I was looking for (still am) a new or mint 108
    or 110- no luck (yet) just the "giant" 2's!

Good for you- The new EA's are very cool too, but personally, I was interested in the VL series-anybody here got any ideas???

3. FunkySpoo

Feb 6, 2002
    Yeah I liked the new stuff too, but I was really interested in the three way cab. I think having those 5 in. mids lets the woofers do their job better

4. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    That was exactly what I was (am) thinking-
    I'll keep my eyes open-
    In the meantime...You are having FUN!:D

5. FunkySpoo

Feb 6, 2002
    Yeah I'm having fun making things shake all over the house. Bassexchange is still listing the vl-110. Have you checked with them? www.bassexchange.com

6. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    Thanks, yeah, I live about 5 miles from there-
    Long needs his site updated severely, he knows, it's a sore point w/ him!! (they don't have 'em)
    As a matter of fact, I'm eaded there this afternoon-
    Gotta buy a 2-space soft rack-

Damn! I just remembered, my credit card is NOT maxed out yet......Uh oh.......

:D :cool: :(

7. FunkySpoo

Feb 6, 2002
    I'm envious (spelling?). It must be nice to live near a real bass shop. I Live in the Washington D.C. area and all we have is a G.C., don't get me started, and Chuck Levins,which is pretty good, but the bass section is still the smallest part of the store, just like everywhere else.

8. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    Spelling is correct sir!
    Yeah, LABX is a very good vibe- great inventory;
    never any pressure whatsoever to buy- You can go
    there & they want you to play all their great basses through all their great rigs- The "house rack" is very nice--Good people, very fair pricing-
    Also have the Mesa store over the hill, kind of a niche for bassists, but it's there.
    "13 Guitar Centers in Southern California"

There's a wild-ride! Like Wal-Mart, they want to spread & conquor all- I'm afraid they just may do it-
    Got any clout in DC to stop 'em??:D

9. FunkySpoo

Feb 6, 2002
    Basta Basta!, I'm going to cry:(

10. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    Take that sadness out through bass played through your new "old stock" EA damn you!!!!!:D

I'm a- headed to LABX now-
    ;)

11. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    There was a "new" VL108 at Boston Guitar, and I guess he was trying to get rid of it. I had been looking for one for a long time. I got a really good deal on it. It is the most fabulous sounding cabinet I have ever played through! It is perfect. The lows are deep and smooth, with perfect articualtion and sparkling highs. It handles a low B well too! I am using it as a "high's" cabinet with my Aguilar, but by itself, it can compete against the 2x10"! Not very efficient, but not bad. I hope to pick up a iAMP 350 from Bob Gollihur, or Dave(Club Bass). This is my "Jazz rig".
    [​IMG]

12. FunkySpoo

Feb 6, 2002
    Sweeeeet. I think Larryj is going to pop a vein or something ;)

13. Kong, definately check out those EA 12's. I recently bought one and it has replaced my VL208/110 "stack". (as well as my Eden 210 ) It is louder, deeper and clearer. It is WAY more efficient and doesn't push my iAMP 600 head as hard.

14. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    REALLY!!!! : :eek:

I ask for empathy 'cause I'm looking for one of these and you post a picture!!! and tell me it was a great deal!! Oh the injustice........

Well, I'll tell ya what I'm gonna do-
    I
    got back from LABX-

oh, the things I saw, oh the things I played,
    YOU WOULD NOT BELIEVE THIS ONE BASS!!
    and now I'm gonna wait awhile b4 I tell y'all about it-hahahahah:D
    And I will tell, 'cause it was un-freakin-real!
    WAIT til I post!!!!
    ...and I will;)

15. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings

For new bass gear, the MD/DC/VA area flat out sucks. It's ridiculous what we don't have here.

16. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    :D Muahhhahahaha!!!
    See my post in Basses re my day at LABX!

Oh man, that sound room-
    bassists- when we die, that will be heaven-
    The house rack- I'm gonna cry
    Demeter-Aguilar /Crest/Avon/ more more more
    Speakers (sob) I.....I..... can't talk.....

Anyway, i played a BassLab-
    I'm sick! I gotta get this! It may mean my marriage, my house, my life.... I DON'T CARE-
    This was a composite one-piece J-type, oh man,...oh man.......

17. All I can say is, at least you're not in Nebraska...

Mike

18. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX

Or OKLAHOMA!

The town I live in has exactly *1* music store, and they have nothing but Ibanez and Peavey. Strings are ~$50 for a set of Markley SR2000's, and ~$40 for anything else. We got about a dozen pawn shops, but absolutely NO decent selection of ANYTHING.

19. You're right, I'm better off than that. :)

In Omaha, we have a Mars Music (FWIW), and maybe a dozen smaller shops, including one who's an Aguilar dealer as of a couple of months ago. But if it's not here in town, it's a long drive to get to anywhere else...

Mike

20. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    True... but sucks still sucks;)