My new Warmoth (review)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Pacman, Feb 9, 2002.

1. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Well, I've finally had time to set it up correctly, and use it on a few gigs. so I thought I'd write a quick review of my Warmoth Gecko 5 string.

Weight is pretty darn light for a 5 string, it's definately lighter than my MIA jazz. The body is solid lacewood, and the neck is maple with a birdseye fingerboard.

Playability is quite good. The neck is a little chunkier than I'd prefer, but still very nice. I think I'd order a shallower neck profile next time, but since I've been spending 90% of my time of double bass lately, the beefier neck is still comfortable. Think Warwick neck, only slightly slimmer.

Sound. With the EMG DCs and BTC, its huge! Big, fat and round. Great for fingerstyle funk and jazz (I got an unbelievable jazz sound from it last night by playing over the end of the fingerboard!), great for latin and gospel. Slap sound is nice, very much a product of the pickups. My drummer said "man, that bass has got some booty!"

I played it with a big band through a Bergantino 212 and an SWR SM900 and I just looooved it! (though some of that might be that cabinet :D )

Looks stunning. The lacewood is like one of those 3D pictures that you stare at and something is supposed to pop out. The birdseye (which I didn't order - I just got a bonus) is not what I expected. When they told me I was getting birdeye, I thought it would be one or two birdseye figures, really lightly spread out through the wood. WRONG! this thing is covered in figures!

Anyway, I dig it, and wanted to pass along my positive experience. Try the thrift shop at guys, you'll not regret it.

2. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Whoa momma! That looks like one killer bass there Pac!