1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My new Warmoth

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by line6man, Mar 17, 2009.

1. I officially finished my Warmoth Jazz Bass today!

I assembled/wired everything myself, except for the neck pocket was far too tight to ever except the neck, so i took it to my luthier to have him sand the pocket.
    I also had him perform a full setup.

Here is the rundown:

Padouk Jazz neck
    21 "fret" unlined fretless Pau Ferro fingerboard, FB194
    10" radius
    Standard thin contour
    1 1/2" white Corian nut
    Hipshot 3/8" clover key Ultralite tuners, chrome
    Hipshot 3 string retainer, chrome
    5lb. 8oz. Alder body
    Gloss black finish
    Gotoh 201 bridge
    Custom engraved neckplate
    0.09" Black gloss Jazz bass pickguard (solid) with no neck pickup route
    Homemade Padouk thumbrest, to simulate the edge of the neck pickup when i play
    Seymour Duncan Antiquity II Jazz bass bridge pickup, no neck pickup.
    Black "Stratocaster" knobs
    500K Audio taper volume control
    500K Tone, with push/pull bypass switch
    0.047uF Orange Drop capacitor
    Switchcraft mono output jack
    '62 Reissue 3 hole control plate
    Vintage cloth style wire
    Fully shielded with Copper foil
    Dunlop straplocks, chrome
    D'Addario EXL170 roundwounds

3364108668_a018474fa2.
    3363286623_0b87d7cb13.
    3364105630_6754bf2f04.
    3363285885_7319de8243.
    3364106856_4486fc9dcc.
    3364106376_a9d8f81f14.
    3363288529_ecdc0fb1a2.
    3364107350_898aef2d39.
    3363288931_a2357ed3de.

What do you guys think?

2. the engine

the engine Guest

Nice! Really different and yet still traditional! I probabnly would have done a black thumb rest, but that's just picky stuff. Really beautiful! Enjoy!

3. Additional pics of my wiring and shielding work...

3364729192_c5344f416b.
    3343457595_45675f4c0f.

4. Nah, I made the thumbrest out of Padouk wood to match the neck.
    Actually, a Pau Ferro thumbrest would have been better, because viewing the bass from the front, only the Padouk wood on the headstock is visible.
    Either way, the thumbrest matches the feel of the neck back, which is smooth!

5. BillytheBassist

BillytheBassist

Aug 18, 2005
    Texas
    I think it looks killer man.... love the thumbrest and the neck.

6. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    That's clean, the Esquire approach.

7. Sexy!

Soundclips?!!! :)

8. I never thought of it that way, but yeah, this bass is the Jazz Bass equivalent of the Fender Esquire.

9. That bass would look really cool with one of those rosewood or cherry pickguards from Ebay.

10. Akito

Akito

Dec 1, 2003
    Spokane
    Beautiful! Inspired choices, really!

11. Frankly - I think it is elegant........and sexy!

12. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Mike Lull GK Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups Darkglass
    Very Nice....

Warmoth are the only wood necks that I like for bolt-ons.

Cheers

13. Love it. Kudos for the concept and the build!

14. nice work.
    interestingly you went for the small post Ultralites- as i did on my Warmoth P build; in my case it was because at the time Hipshot didn't clearly show the different post size versions on their website, and were unclear in an email, and the UK importer didn't know about the 1/2 in version.
    also at the time Warmoth didn't offer the small post size holes option, so i had to order the neck undrilled and drill the holes myself.

15. LowKee

LowKee

Jan 18, 2009
    Bourbonnais, IL
    That's hot!
    Very nice bass. Classy looking.

16. very nice, simple elegance there. I like the simplicity of the 1 pickup

17. Thunderitter

Thunderitter Bass - the final frontier! Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2007
    USA
    Very nice indeed - congrats!

For me it would have been an ebony rest and I think it would smokin' with a black control cover, but it's not my bass is it!!

18. marcopalla

marcopalla

Aug 31, 2005
    nice pool 'bro!

;)

19. kcolyar

kcolyar

Feb 28, 2007
    Moab, Ut 84532
    WOW, beautiful and understated. I LOVE it. Just post your address and I'll send my burglars right over! It really looks nice. Curious as to your PU selection? any hum or is it a one trick pony as far as tone goes?:bassist:

20. Its a true single coil pickup, so it does have the hum associated with single coils.
    All of that humbucking Jazz Bass pickup stuff is a load of BS.
    I am a firm believer that single coil tone only comes from true single coils, so i am willing to deal with the hum.
    Its really not a big deal anyways, because my home studio is fairly quiet, so i don't get alot of noise.

I know the electronic workings of basses extremely well (see the Pickups and Electronics forum:D) so i know exactly how i like my pickups and wiring configured for what i am after.
    Its an involved story, but i went with the same wiring scheme that i did for my other Warmoth fretless, and that bass allowed me to go from clipping my system with output when the volume was on 10 and the tone bypassed, to nothing but muffled sub bass frequencies with the tone rolled off and the volume turned down.
    Since i can cover both extremes, i can get just about any tone in between, so i never had any problems getting the tone i wanted from that bass.

Although the bass has only one pickup, its extremely flexible tonewise.
    But at the same time, being limited by one pickup gets me to experiment with changing the way that i play to get different tones.