Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My new Warwick bass subtly changes tones while playing...

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Knavery, Mar 8, 2004.

1. Knavery

Knavery

Feb 24, 2004
    Denver, CO
    I just bought a Warwick Proline 4-string and noticed that when I play, sometimes it changes from a nice crispy tone to a muddy tone. Are the electronics messed up? I switched out the battery and it seems to persist. It's almost not noticeable. Perhaps this is why Guitar Center was selling it for $799.00. I'm not sure. Should I bring it back or try to find a resolution?

2. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    back it goes!

3. Knavery

Knavery

Feb 24, 2004
    Denver, CO
    Come on guys... Enough of you are looking at this. Any suggestions?

4. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I'm going to move this to Setup.

I'd try some tuner cleaner into the pots - be careful so you don't ruin the finish. Sounds like a gummy pot to me - nothing major, I'll bet.

5. Saetia

Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    Knavery I too have this problem with my Corvetter Standard 4, it will go from being full and thick and punchy to flimsy sounding, and full of tin. Usually when I move my low mid knob forward the sound gets thicker, but now it gets thinner, and is actually thicker when it's all the way rolled off then rolled on. I really don't know of any places around my parts who are actual guitar tecs or anything to do a once over, only people who do setups or things like that. Anyone know of anywhere in WI I can find a knowledgable person to a check over on my bass? Thanks.
    peace
    -Ben

I will add that my Vette never did this up until recently and used to be thick and full of growl and punch.

6. Knavery

Knavery

Feb 24, 2004
    Denver, CO
    Man I really don't want to take this back if I don't have to. I got a good deal on this bass, but perhaps that is the reason why. I may have to take it back and have them work on it.

Knavery

7. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    are you sure it's the bass and not the amp? perhaps your amp isn't used to the highs the warwick is putting out and dulls after a while? my amp loses some of it's crispness after playing for some time.

if it is definitely the bass, i'd bring it back but i definitely wouldn't ask them if that's why the price was so low. if it's defective they should fix it regardless. pehaps people kept returning the bass because of that and they decided to drop the price?

8. [SD]

[SD]

Feb 24, 2004
    i've got a corvette standard 5 string passive pick ups with dynamic correction...(don't like active pick ups that much)...
    well because of the dynamic correction when i slap really softly i get a nice deep and at the same time shinny sound really great but when i start doing really fast slapping i tend to slap really hard on it so the pickus lower the sound a little bit and i loose the deep nice shinny sound...but i'm getting used to it and it's good cuz i was used to have a really damn nasty bass that i had to slap hard to get a good signal to the pickups...

9. Knavery

Knavery

Feb 24, 2004
    Denver, CO
    Joe,
    I thought about that myself, but at the very least they should have said something about it. I mean, why wouldn't they if they are letting it go at that price. It's so subtle that others may not notice it.

I did however call GC and they said they have a guy that works on Warwick basses and that mine is under warranty for one year. I would like to see if it can be fixed at least before returning it. I mean... I got a sweet deal on it and it plays very beautifully.

Knavery