Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My new Warwick! (pics included)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tsal, May 1, 2003.

1. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Recieved my Warwick Thumb Bolt-On 5 yesterday, as you might know. It's brand new, 2003 model.

The standard Thumb BO setup: bolt-on ovangol neck, ovangol body, wenge fingerboard, two active MEC J-pups grouped near to the bridge and 2-band EQ with active/passive switch.

And so, to the most important thing.. pics!

[​IMG]

2. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    The contoured back.

[​IMG]

3. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Body close-up. Thumb 5's have bit unusual pup layout.

[​IMG]

4. ColdYinTiger

ColdYinTiger

Jul 15, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Nice, I allways loved the look, sound and feel of the Thumb 5's, both the bolt's and the neckthru's.
    They have what is very close to the sound I'm looking for, Tight punchy lows, growly mids, and good highs for tapping and harmonics.

I will eventually have one. Mark my words!!!

(Right after I get a stack, a 6 or 7 string {Extended Range!!!!}, and have other more importent things squared away at home.)

5. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    And one more. Not too ugly wood, this ovangol. It has nice golden sheen when light hits it.

[​IMG]

6. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    Nice, enjoy it!!!!!!

7. *drool*

8. NICE BASS DUDE!

I don't like the pick-up config though...too close to the bridge,but...it's not mine...

Congrats!

I got a question...

What the heck is a Wenge neck?

thanks...

-Jon:ninja:

9. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    a neck made of wenge ;)

it's an african hardwood with a coarse open grain. the stuff that the fingerboard on this bass is made of...the older bolt neck warwicks had a neck made completely of wenge and the older through necks had a laminate neck of wenge and bubinga....the newer warwicks use ovangkol in the neck now.

10. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Yup, our submariner friend (and a guy who has owned more than one Warwick, eh?) has it right, wenge is african hardwood with dark brown, chocolat-like appearance, and is what my fretboard is made of.

Personally, I'm just as happy with the ovangol neck as I would be with wenge, perhaps even happier since it looks better and I don't like that grain of wenge under my thumb so much.

I think Warwick has it right with these: organic and original looks, natural finish on wood that's not fancy but still something special, nice shiny and ringing brass frets, carved body that hugs your belly, unique sound.. my kind of a bass :cool:

11. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    hee hee

i really like the ovangkol stuff too...other companies like ken smith and wal, to name a couple, use ovangkol on their basses....except they call it shedua...it's the same exact stuff...i think that the wenge contributed to the "warwick sound" but i think that ovangkol is hardly a cheap alternative...just something different. i've had a couple bolt neck 5 string thumb basses, and they sounded awesome.

have fun with the new axe, man

12. Very nice looking bass you have there. I have only tried one Warwick which was a Streamer II and it was excellent so I know yours will be as well.

Congratulations

Matthew

13. incognito89x

incognito89x ♪♫♪ ♪ ♪ ♫&#983

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    I want one :(

Definately a great looking bass. Some of the NT's have an ugly(er) wood grain, but that one is one of the nice looking ones. I really want to get a Thumb 5. After I upgrade my amp, perhapds I'll sell my Vette 5 and upgrade to a Thumb. If only I had money :(

14. Another hideously ugly brown Warwick. But I have to admit, Thumb basses are the nicest playing and sounding basses I've ever played. So I totally envy you right now.:)
    Congrats on the new bass!!