My New Zon

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mike sancho, Feb 26, 2004.

1. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Here is my new Sonus Custom 5. I'm not sure I'm doing this right but here goes.
  2. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Nice! Congrats. I own two Zons (Legacy Standard and Legacy Elite) and like them very much.
  3. sethlow3

sethlow3 Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Thats the same Zon I wanted from bass emporium. Excellent find sancho. I have a sonus 5 standard myself. Zons are the cats meow. Do you know if the model you got features the mid frequency gain on the inside of the bass like some of the other models do?
  4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Nice! I love my Sonus Custom fretless 5.
  5. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    Very nice, I'm the proud owner of 2 Sonus 5s myself. What kind of top is that ?
  6. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    SWEET! Very sweet!

Was this the Custom from the Bass Emporium? I had my eyes on that bass for quite some time. I just couldn't get the resources together to ever make it happen for me.
  7. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Hey all,
    I'll try and answer all of these ?s. Yes it is the Custom from Bass Emporium, the top is Spalted Maple, and I believe the answer is yes to the mid range boost. Maybe one of you Zonites could confirm the control config for me. Looking down at the bass top row 2 controls left to right: Volume, Blend.
    bottom row: left to right: Bass, Treble, Mids!? I've only been playing 25 years and never been a techie, just set it, plug it in and go. I love this site lots of real bass fanatics like myself.
  8. MMSterling

MMSterling Guest

Feb 19, 2004
    Leicester, England
    Very nice bass you found yourself there! I played a Zon 4 the other day (can't remember what model), and It was great. I'm going to buy one (when I have the cash) to go with my Sterling so it doesn't get lonely............. :confused:

Andy :)
  9. AJ Love

AJ Love

Oct 8, 2002
    Madison WI USA
    congrats on the new bass! whats the playability like on it? able to get really low action if you want?
  10. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    It's a very easy bass to play. I had the action set as low as he could get it with out any buzz and I haven't had to change it at all. The neck is really easy to get up and down on and it sits well on a strap. I've had the best tone through my B2R and an SWR 15" son of goliath. My 2x10 cab was sweet too but I liked the depth of the 15.
  11. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Just out curiosity what strings are running on your Zon? (useless info to follow)

I was real hot to get a Custom 5 that was down in Garland, TX but when I played it I was less than impressed. The playability was ok, I realized that the setup was bad but it sounded kinda thin compared to the Roscoe SKB6 that they had. Then in retrospect I started thinking that with other strings that that bass might have been quite killer. Then I played a Custom 6 string at Bass NW and was blown away. I should have snagged that one but ran across my Imperial 6 and went that way.

Sorry for the long, boring story but I just don't think that the few Zon's that I've played were given the right chance. And I do feel that string choices can make all the difference in the world.
  12. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I use Medium light boomers or Ken Smith's medium lights
  13. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Ooo, welcome to the club. That sure is pretty.
  14. Take measurements of the relief in the neck to make sure it stays that way.
  15. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    congrats! i am on the hunt for a nice lined fretless 5 myself--A
  16. My old Sonus 5 has about twice the relief of the newer one.