My newest bass: Spector Rex 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sanctum, Aug 15, 2002.

1. Just arrived 15 mins ago - thanks to Gard at Bass Central! All Hail!

I'll post some more pics later when I get home, as the light in my office sucks, as does this digital camera, which is adding a lot of green to the blue stain.

Man, my office really needs a practice amp!

BTW, its a Spector Rex 2000/5 :p
  2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Not a bad picture. Congrats!!!!!
  3. Listen

May 19, 2002
    it's a beauty!!!!!!!! I've never see a REX in that color before, it looks great!
  4. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    That's a sweet axe, man...enjoy it well!
  5. Is the control layout Vol. Vol. Bass Treble, or Vol. Blend Bass Treble?
  6. Casey C.

Casey C.

Sep 16, 2000
    Butler, PA, USA
    Like it! :)

Hows it play? how does it feel when you play with you fingers(if you can)? I was thinking about getting one of these but I don't know how it would handle fingering rather than a pick.
  7. Vol. Vol. Bass Treble

It feels fine playing with my fingers, I never play with a pick.
  8. Would you have preferred it with a Blend?
  9. Not really, I play with them both wide open anyhow. On my Fender, the blend is always dead center.
  10. BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    Mmm, that finish looks so tasty in a sort of jazzberry sort of way. mmmmmmm
  11. How would you say it compared tonally with the Fender? Only ever played a Q4, ya see.
  12. Casey C.

Casey C.

Sep 16, 2000
    Butler, PA, USA
    How about some action pics? :p

I just would like to see how it looks with someone using the fingers on it. I may get one now that I have seen yours! I really like the blue.

13. I don't really understand what you mean - it looks the same as any other bass being played with someone's fingers :)

Tonally it is very different from a Fender. Much deeper and throaty in my opinion, and the highs really resonate. This is my first neck through bass, and I really love it. The neck is fantastic, really fast and easy to play - for a 5 string, its just as easy to play as some 4 strings I've owned.

ps - if you REALLY want action pics I'll post some, but like ...... I don't see the point :p
  14. Have you changed the dip switches on the preamp yet, or have you left em alone?
  15. I havent done a thing to it.
  16. Holy CRAP!

I've always really disliked the look of a Rex... but that one is GORGEOUS!!!

Congratulations - I bet it plays and sounds even better than it looks!

17. PanteraFan:

Since you posted this, I opened up the rear cavity again, and there are no dip switches on the preamp. Maybe you're thinking of the Aquilar pre in the USA model.

18. Nice bass DiN!!!! Hope you have a lot of fun with her!!! The finish is really nice too - mine doesn't have the textured wood look, no point with the Holoflash finish!!!

I'm also glad to hear another owner likes the Vol Vol Bass Treble - and I play with them both wide open. One of my Czech ones has the controls layed out like that too - although it was meant to be Vol Blend Bass Treble - like the other Czech one I have.

Actually there was a review in Bassist mag (I can't remember if Steve Lawson did the review or not) but they commented on the fact that the controls were Vol Vol Bass Treble and not the Vol Blend Bass Treble like it said on the website!